Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
998 vs 996 for a track bike?

Here's the deal, I can find 996 track bikes all day long, but I really would like a 998, but there alot harder to find, and cost a lot more also!

So, I would like your opinions “Pro’s & Con’s” of the 2, for track use not street use! Thank’s alot

·
Registered
442 Posts
What is fiability?

Hello, after 3 race bikes :

- 996 sps
- 998 s

My choice is the 998 s because is more powerful and fiability is better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would go with the 996 and spend the savings where you think they will have the most value (light weight wheels).
The 998 motor is better but my 996 has been going to the track for 9 years without any problems. Just make sure the 996 has good rockers before you buy it. Lap times will be better on a 996 with BST wheels then a 998 without.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
After 3500 track only miles on my 916s, I have some opinions about the desmoquattros. First, I think the skill level of riding can affect the choice of bikes. My observation at track days is that most people cannot ride a modern sport bike to its limits. Only the "A" group, which many times has racers, are the people skilled enough to really wring out their bikes and push them to their limits. Riders in the other groups want powerful bikes to blast down the straights but do not have the skill to brake, enter turns, and keep up their corner speeds, optimally. A person with more skill in these areas can easily stay in front of a high powered 1000 cc sport bike. For me it comes down to having fun. Having fun is a bike that is stable, decent brakes and decent power, in that order. It has only been over the last few years, as my abilities have increased, that I find the 916 underpowered and wish I had more power. It took me a few years to get to this point. Also I find the desmoquattro bikes in stock trim to be a bit heavy and require much effort to turn. I agree with one of the other posts that would be better to put on lighter wheels to get the bike to turn in a little quicker. As I got faster on my bike I would find it a little unnerving to tip the bike into really fast corners (100 + mph). I would have to set up to turn so far ahead. Sometimes if I waited too long I would then take it a little wide. Pretty scary to hit the rumble strip on exit.

So I would say if you have alot of experience and are fast, then go with the most powerful bike. If not then either the 996 or 916 or even a 749 and put the money into lighting up the unsprung weight.

Mike

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Do you have track experience? My first and most fun track bike was a 250 ninja lol. Got it for dirt cheap and beat the piss out of it. Spent maybe 300 bucks on suspension mods and passed guys on 600-1000's in the corners no problems...then I could brake way later then them into the corners after they blasted by me on the straights lol.

Way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow as the saying goes....but as far as reliability goes, the 996 is fine if you keep on top of maintenence. But since either bikes can be found in similar price ranges I would probably opt for the 998...but at the point I personally am, a 749 would be even better and still more bike than I need.

So to answer your question, why not the 996? If they are all over the place you know you can get parts for the motors or a whole replacement motor easily right? Just make sure it's one that has a well document service history.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guy's, for the replies to this thread! i own a 998 right now & i like it the most out of all my bikes, but she is way to nice to turn into a full on track bike, but i love that 998 on the street!

The only reason i figured that a 996 would be a pain is the rocker issue, engine maintenance, and isn't it a little heavier???

Also, i got the BST wheels on my TLR, and there is nothing like it!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
...to me it all depends on how much track experience you have...if little then it won't matter what you get since you will have so much to learn and try that the bike won't get into the equation till really late in the game....if you do have a lot of experince then you should know the answer to all these questions ;)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
...to me it all depends on how much track experience you have...if little then it won't matter what you get since you will have so much to learn and try that the bike won't get into the equation till really late in the game....if you do have a lot of experince then you should know the answer to all these questions ;)
100% agreed.

Whatever bike you end up deciding to buy, it won't make a difference as a "trackday" guy. Once you've been to school a few times, you'll realize the 996/998 are just old bikes and mostly everybody else on the track will leave you in the dust. I've been down the 916 style race bike road before... I wouldn't suggest anybody going that direction, its just the opposite of what you need for learning how to ride better. Buying one just for the fun of it, can be entertaining, but in the long run it will just hinder you're growth as a rider. This is why everybody rides "middleweights"... 600cc inline 4's and 650/750 twins.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
236 Posts
I sold my 996 and got a 998 for the track. It's been a year since I bought it and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

It's an excellent platform to develop your skills on, or just have fun! I've found its handling to be very forgiving while I've been learning to ride.

I've been upgrading it piece by piece and it just gets better and better, and my wallet smaller and smaller.

One day I'll buy an 1x98, but not yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
100% agreed.

Whatever bike you end up deciding to buy, it won't make a difference as a "trackday" guy. Once you've been to school a few times, you'll realize the 996/998 are just old bikes and mostly everybody else on the track will leave you in the dust. I've been down the 916 style race bike road before... I wouldn't suggest anybody going that direction, its just the opposite of what you need for learning how to ride better. Buying one just for the fun of it, can be entertaining, but in the long run it will just hinder you're growth as a rider. This is why everybody rides "middleweights"... 600cc inline 4's and 650/750 twins.
Tye, the only sentence in that post that makes sense is the first one. It will take a lot of track time before a beginner gets to the point of a 996/998 being a problem in improving rider skill.
Of course the 996/998 is obsolete compared to the newer bikes but on a typical trackday it's 90% rider and 10% bike.

I stopped racing in 1992 and just do a couple of trackdays a year but I still find myself riding with the faster advanced riders on a mostly stock 996.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Buy a GSXR 750 and be done with it! Heck you can find them every where for cheap and you can pound the shit out of them and they still run great!!!!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
It will take a lot of track time before a beginner gets to the point of a 996/998 being a problem in improving rider skill.
The 916 series street bikes were never much of a track bike in stock trim. The twitchiness of the bike stock, will actually make newer track riders a bit skittish, then lets say a newer superbike like a 848/1098.

Of course the 996/998 is obsolete compared to the newer bikes but on a typical trackday it's 90% rider and 10% bike.
Obsolete is being nice. ;)

I stopped racing in 1992 and just do a couple of trackdays a year but I still find myself riding with the faster advanced riders on a mostly stock 996.
Once you know how to ride and especially race, you can pretty much ride anything from that day forward. I find myself riding through problems my race bike has because I've become proficient at riding the piss out of pretty much any setup. Of course, I do fix the problems eventually... ;)

Buy a GSXR 750 and be done with it! Heck you can find them every where for cheap and you can pound the shit out of them and they still run great!!!!
GSXR750's, especially the old ones, are real pieces of junk. Sure some guys can go fast on old bikes, but those are the guys who crash every weekend and spoil the fun for everybody else. Nahh... there is nothing wrong with riding a Ducati on the track and nothing wrong with owning a nice classic bike as well. Its just, putting the two of them together can be somewhat... catastrophic if ya know what I mean.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
227 Posts
"Obsolete is being nice"... a gentleman if I may add.... anything that is below the 9 series and it doesn't have an R in it is not competitive and still expensive to fix and keep so why bather?!?!??! Unless is your street bike that you take on the race track for fun (+1 to that)
then it is not worth it as a track only bike....

...remember the first step to racing is a track only bike :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
...remember the first step to racing is to sell your road bikes and get rid of those slow road riding habits... haha

The guys asked about a track bike, not a competitive race bike.

I believe the 998 motor is more reliable than the 996, be it on or off track. I'd go with the 998.

I'd love to be a member of the exclusive 'R' club. Maybe one day...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts