Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 998 front harness (with the round connector) has a different part number from the 996/748/916. Yet the two harnesses that attach to it for the idiot lights and tachometer are the same across all models. Does anyone know what the differences are between the front harnesses? Once you factor out the idiot lights and tach, what's left up there besides the horn, turn signals, headlights, and some relays? The 996/748 are a dime a dozen on ebay, but the 998's are rare and expensive when available. I'm planning to chop it up anyways to install an MXL Pista digital dash system, so I'm hoping someone can confirm if the round part will at least fit to the main harness. From there I can get creative with the wiring if necessary. Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Off the top of my head, there are 2 different round connectors, one is slightly larger than the other with extra pins. You need to ensure that you get the correct one (I have a 996 & a 998 & initially got the wrong connector when I made up a track only front end). Best source I found was from gotham.cycles (he is on here sometimes). Just count the number of pins & ask them. I haven't got the info to hand, but if you wish I can go dig it out, just remind me.

Cheers,

·
Registered
219 Posts
The 998 front end harness has 2 relays. Per my service manual 1 of them is for the high beam, but I am not sure about the other one. I thought maybe one was for high beam and the other for flash-to-pass, but the schematic appears to send both of those switches through the same relay. So I am lost. Can anyone clarify?

·
Premium Member
5,575 Posts
Number of pins. Two relays added for high beam (which is also the flash to pass) and low beam. There were no head light relays on the older bike. Full current through the left hand switch. Ground connections were also added, one or two don't remember. The change also effected the fuse box. One fuse each for the high and low beam, rather than all on one fuse. The change occurred at the transition from 916 to 996.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, new info. I removed a stock front harness (round metal retainer) from my 2002 998 that is becoming a track bike. It has a single relay with all of the other connectors and it appears to be unmodified, and the round metal connector on the non-knurled portion measures 30mm and it has 19 pins.

The one I purchased online from a "2002 998" has 2 relays and the metal measures 38.5mm and it has 21 pins with a spare 22nd hole. This is still a different harness than I see on the diagrams for any 916/996/748 model. Hopefully this helps some of you that are looking for another harness. In addition to that it is probably necessary to make sure that you get a matching main harness if you are looking for a replacement. This sucks, because 998 main harnesses are hard enough to find, now I gotta hunt for one with 19 sockets in the mating connector.

Hopefully, this helps someone.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have (2) other 2002 998s that I also checked and they both have the 30mm 19-pin connectors with a single relay as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I can't be much help since I abandoned the MXL project. Maybe the one you got isn't really from a 998 at all, maybe a 999?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts