Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Just bought an 02 998 from pro-Italia. Everything looks great and runs great but I just noticed that when the bike is running and I put on the turn signal, the tach jumps about 100-200 rpms. Like if it is reacting to the signal light. Not sure what the previous owner did to the wiring to have this happen. Or is it just because the battery might be low? Sorry if this is a noob question. I did search for this problem but nothing is showing up so far.

·
Old Wizard
3,007 Posts
The tach's internal electronics use the battery voltage as a reference value. Turn signals add a brief load to the battery and a weak battery will drop in voltage in response to an added load. That's what you'r seeing in the tach readout.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks shazaam. That's what I thought. Probably why these bikes need to be on a battery tender all the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, now my tach goes out completely for about 1 minute then comes back when i rev it up. It dies and then comes back intermittently. I think it's the pigtail connectors in the back. They might be loose. I would reach back there and when I pinch them, the tach will jump back to life. Anyone have this issue? I know there are a lot of tach problems out there but I am hoping this one is just a small issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts