Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just noticed that my front break does not illuminate the rear brake light but the rear brake does. Is that normal?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Most definately NOT normal, either brake should actuate the brake light. One easy thing to check is the brake light actuator which is a pressure switch with a plunger (as i recall from my 996), it's mounted on the front brake master cylinder, make sure it's in place and plugged in.

Chris

Hi there,

I just noticed that my front break does not illuminate the rear brake light but the rear brake does. Is that normal?

Cheers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
^^^
What he said. Also, follow the wires that lead out from the front brake lever. There is a connection almost under the high beam light. Make sure that connection is good. Push them in a little. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
If you have ever removed the brake lever the little 'plunger' is very prone to falling out and being lost for all eternity (assuming the lever design is like the 916), otherwise check the switch and the connections as said.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It's only normal if by "998" you mean 250 narrowcase...

I'm with DukeDesmo - I'll bet someone changed levers and lost the plunger.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
If you have ever removed the brake lever the little 'plunger' is very prone to falling out and being lost for all eternity (assuming the lever design is like the 916), otherwise check the switch and the connections as said.
1+

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can a '03 999 suffer from the same problem?

·
Registered
572 Posts
998 lever are not the same found on the 916.
The brake light actuator is less prone to fail. But Kojak has for sure a wire issue dealing with this part. Clean contactors.
Check if the bike has the OEM wiring under the tail.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the advice...turned out to be the brake light actuator just below the lever. Replaced it and all good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts