Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got all the tools and parts to do my first valve adjustment and belt change. LT's manual says step 1 is to remove the intake runners. He is leaving a few obvious steps out. I got most of the fairings off easily, except a small part below the tank. I assume I need to remove this section of fairings, the tank and the seat before the intake runners. I feel stupid, I don't see an obvious way to remove the seat (I assume I do that first).

I did remove the oil and oil filter screen first. There wasn't much on the screen. Do I need to clean or do anything inside where the screen was? I didn't see any crush washers, is that normal? From LT's manual, a 2002 998 should have the older 21mm socket, but I have the 14mm allen head. Is LT's manual wrong, or is my bike somehow different? Any harm leaving this all apart until I am done? It could take weeks (mostly because I have other projects, but I know I am taking a long time to learn, but am okay with that). But I don't want to waste oil and washers if I need to take it apart again before I am done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
little help

To remove seat use key to unlock latch and lift up the seat and you should see the hindges. Once the seat is removed you should see the allen bolt that holds the tank on. The piece you are refering to is the airbox and yes you must get it off to do valve adjustment. In the airbox you must spin the intake stacks to get the airbox off. also there are 6 allen bolts to remove the airbox. Two on top two on each side of outside middle and two on outside back end. Oh and unlatch the air runners once in airbox. Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by "key" do you mean the ignition key? Or are you calling a "hex wrench" a "hex key" or something? I don't see anything that would fit anything like the ignition key. This is a sergeant seat, BTW.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok on the left side of the bike the side where your shifter is right were the tank and tail fairing touch a little down there is a key slot. It's your ignition key it unlocks the whole seat fairing not just the main seat.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the hole where the key slot in nyckreyna's photo used to be:eek:

There is black plastic inset into the hole. Any ideas how to remove/replace this? If it has to be fitted to my key, it sounds like something expensive to order.

·
Registered
961 Posts
No tail-release key-barrel. Feel around behind for the cable for tail-release and pull it. If there is no cable you will need to remove the tail undertray to release the latch underneath the rear of the tail.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cable was not hooked to anything. Pulled it and the whole seat came right up easily:D

Dammit, now it is time for bed :mad:

·
Registered
218 Posts
If u go to eBay or look around u can find a used key lock that will go there only thing is it will probly come with ignition switch and tank lid oh and another key.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If u go to eBay or look around u can find a used key lock that will go there only thing is it will probly come with ignition switch and tank lid oh and another key.
My ST4 key opens my the tail on my 998, I suspect any Duc key that fits in will open it, I don't think they are "keyed"

Good Luck,
t_bare

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got to work on it again, and I am already stuck. My gas tank has 2 tubes on the bottom (presumably for each cylinder). They look like they are held on by hose clamps, but I can remove the clamps easily and but not the tube.

This gives me 3 options:

I can pull really hard and hope the tube comes off without breaking. I tried pulling really hard, but am worried any harder will tear the tube.

I can cut the tube and reattach it later.

I can try to find and disconnect the other end of the tube.

Any other ideas? Any advice?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
they are a quick release. Do not muscle!!!!

It has been a while, there is a tab or a slider or some sort of release.

t_bare

·
Registered
151 Posts
they are a quick release. Do not muscle!!!!

It has been a while, there is a tab or a slider or some sort of release.

t_bare

Exactly, Those are quick disconnect tank fittings. There is a little metal tab that you should press in, you might hear a click. Then gently wiggle the whole 90* elbow out of the bottom of the tank, don't force it. Yours might be plastic, not sure on the 998's. I can run out and take a picture if you'd like. :D

EDIT: I went ahead and snapped a few pics anyway.

This is what you should see under the tank minus the vent lines.. Push the tab:

And wiggle out the elbow, like so:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it, no need to post pictures or anything - I got it.

This bike is like a brain teaser - until you know the trick it seems impossibly difficult, and once you figure it out, it is so simple you feel like any 3rd grader should know the answer right away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts