Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought I'd share a new project I've started, rebuilding a crashed 998.

It was in pretty sad shape, not a major crash, but damage all round. Frame, forks and swingarm straight. No holes in crank case but...

- All fairings and tank damaged
- some sub frame damage
- most controls damaged in one way or another
- exhaust damage
- smashed battery box and connectors associated
- oil radiator a bit out of shape
- indicators and number plate carrier smashed/gone
- various brackets and other bits bent and broken with various gravel rash

Anyway have been stripping down and building a parts list as I go.

Probably will have questions as I go from forum members as I discover more, wiring for instance looks like it's been played with more than once and is a bit of a mess. A manual switch has been added for the radiator fan and I think it has had an alarm at some point.

Intent is to bring it back to its former glory as I find the necessary replacement parts.

Current state:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Slow and steady. Bring it back to life as Ducati intended it, not festooned with cheap Chinese nock off junk. Best bike Ducati superbike ever built.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still stripping, and finding a few more broken bits. This under the tank, aluminium expansion tank...I think this is a good thing there are problems with plastic originals?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fairing is a write off...probably shows how hard it was hit on the right side, breaking battery box and various other right side components...anybody got OEM right side lower and mid section 988 fairings for sale in reasonable condition?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
fairing is a write off...probably shows how hard it was hit on the right side, breaking battery box and various other right side components...anybody got OEM right side lower and mid section 988 fairings for sale in reasonable condition?
That fairing is very repairable. My 999 top has been made from 3 pieces and none of the repairs are visible, inside or out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some progress as parts come in, some of it I had to buy new from Italy which is taking a while to arrive, can you guys check if I've put the seat hinge assembly together correctly I can't find any reference and the original one was busted - I think the spring is on the right way?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Battery box fitted, I have a question please does it only attached with two bolts? It feels a bit wobbly at the bottom like it should have a third fixing point to the frame?

·
Registered
245 Posts
the seat spring looks ok. The 916 battery box had a push on fitting on the lower left side of the box. The "stub" bolted to the frame & a rubber grommet was mounted in the battery box. It just pushed onto the stub but it help stabilise the lower section of the box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the seat spring looks ok. The 916 battery box had a push on fitting on the lower left side of the box. The "stub" bolted to the frame & a rubber grommet was mounted in the battery box. It just pushed onto the stub but it help stabilise the lower section of the box.
Thanks re seat spring.... - I'll double check the battery box, I'm pretty sure there is no stub on the frame or place for a grommet on the box - but I will double check. I ordered a 998 box so being a different engine perhaps the battery box is different to the 916/996 one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Weed turns out there was a spigot.missing from engine which lines up with where the grommet goes on the battery box to make the third mounting point - will sort that

1 - 20 of 29 Posts