Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepping a 2002 Ducati 998 Monoposto for track only. At the moment I am building a harness and I’m looking for some advice about a quick shifter. I’m seeing HM, Power Commander, etc. What I see is a lot of applications for the 749/999 and later models, not so much on the 998. I am also interested in a power commander, although I don’t know if I NEED it or if it is just handy. So tell me what you think, lessons learned, etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bike is a 998 with the R model deep sump cases, full 50mm race termignonis. It will be running the BMC filters with carbon air tubes.

I am currently building a track/race harness, so I am particularly interested in picking my electronics now because I want the appropriate connections for those interfaces already wired in to this harness. So first I need to pick what I want, but I don’t know what I want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's no quickshifter support in the 998 ECU, hence no PINs/connectors for it in the original harness. There's a couple of "addon" solutions resulting in a lot of extra wiring,
  • HM/Cordona/whatever quickshifter kits usually includes a sensor and some form of logic that you connect in-between the coils/injectors, hence cutting ignition/fuel. So integrating this in a new harness just seems like a lot of hassle.
  • Powercommander 3 connects in-between injectors and has a separate QS input from whatever type of sensor you like. With this you can also adjust fueling.
  • Powercommander 5 (if available for 998?) I believe connects in between both coils and injectors, separate QS input and you can adjust ignition as well as fueling.
Or you replace the original ECU with a Microtec which has built-in QS support and buy whichever sensor you prefer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was in the same dilemma building my 998 a couple years ago. To avoid unnecessary electronic troubles I’ve decided to hold
Off till I can swing a microtec from Ducshop and then run a Q/S directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power commander 3 connects in-between injectors and has a separate QS input from whatever type of sensor you like. With this you can also adjust fueling.
Or you replace the original ECU with a Microtec which has built-in QS support and buy whichever sensor you prefer.
Ok, so is there an advantage to one of these or the other? It sounds like the PC3 may be a bit more wiring, but I’m curious.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in the same dilemma building my 998 a couple years ago. To avoid unnecessary electronic troubles I’ve decided to hold
Off till I can swing a microtec from Ducshop and then run a Q/S directly.

Ok, same question; is there any advantage to running a microtec instead of a PC3?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quick Shifter easy (iQSE) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.

I tried the healtech on my 1198 as it already had a factory fitted quickshifter and I wanted to compare them. The healtech worked fine so I just bought the harness for my 04 Aprilia RSVR and took the healtech module of the 1198 and put it on the Aprilia. Works great and you adjust the settings with a phone. Setup was easy and I am really happy with it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok, same question; is there any advantage to running a microtec instead of a PC3?
The advantage of microtec is the q/s circuitry is built into the ECU. The PC3 is going to be a very old piece these days and will have to also tie into injector and coil wiring. Microtec is just a much cleaner, albeit expensive solution.

If all you’re looking for is QS function, PC3 seems like a feasible solution. If you’re wanting to take advantage of tuning the ECU properly then the microtec is the only way to go.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick Shifter easy (iQSE) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.

I tried the healtech on my 1198 as it already had a factory fitted quickshifter and I wanted to compare them. The healtech worked fine so I just bought the harness for my 04 Aprilia RSVR and took the healtech module of the 1198 and put it on the Aprilia. Works great and you adjust the settings with a phone. Setup was easy and I am really happy with it
Thanks! The problem is my 998 doesn't have any connectivity for a QS from the factory, hence the discussion about how to create that connectivity.

If all you’re looking for is QS function, PC3 seems like a feasible solution. If you’re wanting to take advantage of tuning the ECU properly then the microtec is the only way to go.
OK, that makes sense. While QS is the primary feature I want right now I also want lightweight, simplified wiring, and I feel that I will want ability to tune in the future. I'm sure riding on the track will expose the more lackluster fuel mixes in the entire RPM/load range. That's quite a lot of money, but I suppose if I turn it back into a street bike this ECU would be worth quite a lot to someone else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks! The problem is my 998 doesn't have any connectivity for a QS from the factory, hence the discussion about how to create that connectivity.

OK, that makes sense. While QS is the primary feature I want right now I also want lightweight, simplified wiring, and I feel that I will want ability to tune in the future. I'm sure riding on the track will expose the more lackluster fuel mixes in the entire RPM/load range. That's quite a lot of money, but I suppose if I turn it back into a street bike this ECU would be worth quite a lot to someone else.

The healtech comes with a harness that pig tails either to the power to the injectors or power to the coils. If you have a look on their site they make a harness purposefully for your bike you simply unplug the connector off your injector (or coil) plug their connector onto the injector (or coil) then plug your connector into theirs simple.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,842 Posts
Got the Microtec ECUs and quick shifters on both the 996R and the ST4S-powered 851 and very happy with them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up purchasing a Microtech M197 from Mark at DucShop. He was knowledgeable about my setup and even loaded 2 maps for my 998 onto the ECU prior to shipping it.

Mark recommended that I pick up a DynoJet quickshifter for PC3. The plug can be cut iff and changed to the Microtech plug easily. In this instance, the DynoJet quickshifter is just a switch, so it works ok. What I am currently looking for are the dimensions of the PC3 quickshifter sensor, so that I can get an appropriate alternate shift rod. Does anyone have a print of that quickshifter sensor? Overall length, thread length and threadpitch are all needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts