Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm the proud owner of an '04 998S FE biposto - had her for about 2 weeks now.

Being the FE, it has the all red tail which I don't like. I want to replace this with an oem mono tail (4 vents). Since purchasing the bike and talking to various other owners, I've become aware at how hard to find good quality oem body pieces are.

1. Do I hold out and sooner or later someone will post an original tail unit (red/white) OR is this less likely to happen and would I be better off finding an oem tail and re-painting it? Has anybody got any experience of re-painting a tail to look factory? How expensive would this be?

2. Do I keep the original fairings on the bike or do I remove them for safe keeping and put on chinese fairings or similar? I bought the bike to ride and plan on putting many miles on it and I also plan on keeping it for a long time to come. One of the lower panels has already spider-cracked around one of the fasteners and I got it patched up. My mechanic explained that due to the age of these bikes the original plastics become brittle. The FE comes with the carbon bellypan as standard - my mechanic tells me they are around $900 AUD to replace (if you can find one). Reading previous posts about chinese fairings etc it got me to thinking that they might be a good idea to protect my investment. I could always put the oem ones back on at anytime.

Please share your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A lot comes down to personal preference. I don't know that finding an OEM plain red mono tail is going to be any cheaper than one with the # plates. So, going that route, I'd just wait until you found one you want. Or just paint the # plates onto the piece you already have on the bike. To have it painted, I would expect to pay $100-$200 USD for a professional paint job.

As far as Chinese fairings - again, it's an opinion thing, but UNLESS the OEM stuff on the bike now is perfect/pristine, or maybe 9/10 I'd ride it as is. As time goes on, you can look for and replace the bodywork piece by piece and put THAT stuff away for safe keeping. You said you're planning on keeping the bike for a long time, so there's no hurry to gather up the spares, right? Time and patience will yield a good find. I'd rather ride the bike in it's original skins than swapping on Chinese stuff.

Mine's a 2001, and I've had it since January. I've had the bodywork on and off about a half-dozen times. No signs of cracking or brittleness as of yet. Spiderwebbing usually happens if the fastener is cranked down too tight. If it's the DZUS 1/4 turns, make sure you've got the little plastic washers, and if when you are putting them back on, if they're really tight/snug, try adjusting the receiver end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I purchased my biposto 998 in 2016, and decided to buy a Chinese tail until I could locate a reasonably priced factory mono tail. A year and a half later, I haven’t found a factory tail, so the $140 I spent on the Chinese version has been money well spent.

As far as fairings go, if the current ones are pristine, take them off and find some used ones to put on (might need to be repainted depending on what you can find). If they already have little scratches, dings, and imperfections, just ride it as it is. If you are going to track it, absolutely get a set of aftermarket fairings.

Here is a pic of mine with the Chinese tail. It’s not perfect, but it more than exceeded my expectations. They were even willing the change the pinstripe color to grey and add “Ducati Superbike” decals to replicate the original.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sourced a OEM monotail for my BP. Took some trickery with the latch bracket, someone sells an adapter bracket on EBay, search out monotail bracket.

Can someone provide a link or vendor who sells Chinese ABS fairings which are very close fit to OEM? I have read fitment for the nose fairings not always same, smaller,etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I sourced a OEM monotail for my BP. Took some trickery with the latch bracket, someone sells an adapter bracket on EBay, search out monotail bracket.

Can someone provide a link or vendor who sells Chinese ABS fairings which are very close fit to OEM? I have read fitment for the nose fairings not always same, smaller,etc.
I ended up buying a perfect OEM unit that was painted differently. Had a local shop paint it, but it was very expensive. They painted the yellow, white, and also painted the grey/metallic pin stripping. I think I could have probably bought an OEM factory piece for less money. I thought the paint would be around $200 but a high quality professional job here is more like $450.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I had no idea the FE came as a biposto..!
I know this isn't helpful to the OPs query, just sayin' is all
Where the FEs mono only in north america perhaps? Or was this just an embarrassing gap in my 916 family knowledge?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm the proud owner of an '04 998S FE biposto - had her for about 2 weeks now.

Being the FE, it has the all red tail which I don't like. I want to replace this with an oem mono tail (4 vents). Since purchasing the bike and talking to various other owners, I've become aware at how hard to find good quality oem body pieces are.

1. Do I hold out and sooner or later someone will post an original tail unit (red/white) OR is this less likely to happen and would I be better off finding an oem tail and re-painting it? Has anybody got any experience of re-painting a tail to look factory? How expensive would this be?

2. Do I keep the original fairings on the bike or do I remove them for safe keeping and put on chinese fairings or similar? I bought the bike to ride and plan on putting many miles on it and I also plan on keeping it for a long time to come. One of the lower panels has already spider-cracked around one of the fasteners and I got it patched up. My mechanic explained that due to the age of these bikes the original plastics become brittle. The FE comes with the carbon bellypan as standard - my mechanic tells me they are around $900 AUD to replace (if you can find one). Reading previous posts about chinese fairings etc it got me to thinking that they might be a good idea to protect my investment. I could always put the oem ones back on at anytime.

Please share your thoughts on this.
Good luck my friend,
“High Quality” is a pipe dream
These sellers are a dime a dozen ,, as soon as they get bad feedback & their % rating goes down they disappear.
Then they start a new account/trading name & start selling again.

As I’ve previously stated on numerous occasions, it’s a lucky dip & eventually you can make anything fit.

My personal experience with these Chinese painted fairing kits was upsetting, frustrating & demoralising ,,
The kit I received was literally smaller in every dimension ,, the nose didn’t fit at all , the sides were under tension constantly because the left side pressed hard against the water pump & the right side was hard against the battery , it was a genuine struggle to get the sides over the tabs so that the dzus bolts could be inserted , the tail was so small that my OEM “R” seat pad sat SO high that the staples attaching the seat cover were clearly visible when standing at the rear of the bike,,,,,

, & yet others such as Davey J have been happy with what he received.

I personally would never buy another painted kit again ,, instead I bought a raw unpainted ABS kit which is almost identical in size , thickness & weight to the OEM fairings.
The tail cowl has all the appropriate mounting points for the tail light & locating/locking pin ,, unlike the painted set which had none of these. It was also a single piece unit ,, unlike the painted unit which was 4 pieces glued together. ( pillion seat cover & recessed air vents glued to tail cowl )
The front mudguard/fender was a single piece ,, unlike the painted unit which was 3 pieces glued together. ( top & 2 sides )
The same goes for the mid section fairing, a single piece item ,, the painted unit was 2 pieces glued together. ( air duct glued to mid section )

Lucky dip

Raw kit

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally would never buy another painted kit again ,, instead I bought a raw unpainted ABS kit which is almost identical in size , thickness & weight to the OEM fairings.
Thanks for posting those photos. I'm in Aus, and would like to get a set for my 998S (have a friend who is an incredible painter, so raw is better for me anyways)
Would you mind letting me know where you got them?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
If you're tracking/racing then I can see why you'd want Chinese fairings but if you've bought it to ride and enjoy then keep the OEM stuff.

Unless you're happy riding it with cheap plastics and are intent on keeping it pristine for the next owner then, IMHO life's too short to not enjoy it...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Who makes that “raw kit?” Also if I buy their mono will my biposto Lock Work or do I need to make adjustments?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for posting those photos. I'm in Aus, and would like to get a set for my 998S (have a friend who is an incredible painter, so raw is better for me anyways)
Would you mind letting me know where you got them?
I have never seen a set of 998 fairings out of china as a cheap kit .
Obviously the side fairings (mid & lower) are different because of the coil location.
So I can’t help you there ,, but you can still buy raw unpainted tail, nose, radiator & mudguard pieces individually

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/273248555590

Who makes that “raw kit?” Also if I buy their mono will my biposto Lock Work or do I need to make adjustments?
My tail uses the stock OEM tail light , tail light mount pins , seat lock pin , R seat pad & hinge plate ... the only part I had to change was the mounting plate that the seat lock pin is attached to.
Vent mesh is missing ,, installation after painting

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Btw, the plastic on these raw kits are as thick as the OEM plastics ,, they are not the lightweight thins that are used on the cheap painted kits that can be found in abundance on eBay.
They have all the appropriate locating tabs on the mid to nose & mid to lower fairings , locating pin on the radiator cowl , mounting points for radiator protector mesh , wiring harness retaining clips on the tail cowl , mounting points for lock pin & tail light , full length overlay on the join between the lower fairings/ belly pan ,, the cheap painted kits have none of these

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow! Thanks so much for the detail there!!

Last thing I want is to have to fettle all of the mounting points etc, particularly on pre-painted plastics.

They're actually really cheap too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts