Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Termi 50mm half system from my 998 I want to sell. I assume it will also fit the 748/916/996 based on a couple of things:

1) Years ago I bought such a system for my 748 from prominent eBay Ducati parts seller DesmoPorsche. He listed it as being from a 2000 996SPS and being compatible with 748/916/996/998. With his parts experience, I assume he'd know if it would fit a 998 or not. I still have my pics from when I sold that system, and it at looks, superficially at least, the same as the system I'm selling now.

2) Motowheels sells a 45-to-50mm midpipe from Spark that they list as being compatible with 748 through 998 (Spark 45/50 Mid Pipe: 748-998).

However, I got a PM from a nice gent in Australia who volunteered that he'd bought a 998 midpipe for his 996SPS and it would not fit. That seems pretty conclusive, except that he's in Australia, since I know there were some differences in what engines were offered in different bikes in the U.S. vs. the rest of the world...so maybe the same for the pipes.

After that, I researched on the Ducati Omaha parts catalog and found that the part number for a 748 midpipe is in fact different than for a 998 midpipe. However, for some years it's also a different P/N for 748 vs. 996, so maybe that doesn't necessarily mean they're not interchangeable.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with this on U.S.-spec bikes. I don't want to stick someone with pipes that won't fit their bike.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Admirable that you dont want to stick someone. I've a 996 and would be interested if it does fit. Anybody got an answer definitively?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Shouldn't fit.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Okay, so I need you to measure the inlet side for me and I will measure mine. I tend to believe in the brain pool thats said yay and not nay. No offense meant at all. Then figure out what you need for them. I hope I'm not violating any forum rules.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After that, I researched on the Ducati Omaha parts catalog and found that the part number for a 748 midpipe is in fact different than for a 998 midpipe. However, for some years it's also a different P/N for 748 vs. 996, so maybe that doesn't necessarily mean they're not interchangeable.
I think that the catalog part noumber can be different because the 998 line bikes had different heat shields (one for the monoposto and one for the biposto model to fit the rear footpeg) that were bolted to the pipe of the right side exhaust can just like the earlier SPS bikes. It seems like to me that the 916/748 models had heat shields with the mounting point somewhere on the midpipe.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That's true. The only difference is the mounting points of heatshield.

998 Biposto, 998 Monoposto, 998S biposto and 998S monoposto had this heatshield (short), because they were available in mono and bip :

996R and 998R had this one (long), they were only available in monoposto so no need toi make room for passengers footpegs:

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Josby, you here? Sent pm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 998 link pipe in 50mm and I would think that they should fit pretty straight on, looks similar - cannot guarantee thought as all the other systems I have are in 45, 54, 60... but not 50...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that the catalog part noumber can be different because the 998 line bikes had different heat shields (one for the monoposto and one for the biposto model to fit the rear footpeg) that were bolted to the pipe of the right side exhaust can just like the earlier SPS bikes. It seems like to me that the 916/748 models had heat shields with the mounting point somewhere on the midpipe.
Ohhh yeah, good point! I found a picture of a 748 midpipe on eBay and you're absolutely right - the two bolts for holding the heat shield are on the midpipe, whereas they are on the right silencer pipe on a 998.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so I need you to measure the inlet side for me and I will measure mine.
I am 99% sure they are 45mm inlet. I know that 45mm slipons will fit on a 998, so I can't imagine that if the outlet is 45mm, the inlet would not be also. I'm hesitant to measure them because it took me hours to get them back boxed up tightly into the Termi box and would rather not unbox them...but I may have to.

The Australian fellow sent me the pic below of two midpipes side-by-side to show the problem. The one on the right is stock and the one on the left is the 998 one he could not get to fit onto his 996SPS. And, they certainly look different. But, to me, the 998 one looks like it has bigger inlets...which makes me think it could've been from a 50mm full system instead of 45-to-50 half system.

The other two pics are of my 748 and 998 stock. The pic angles are slightly different, but to me, the midpipes do not look like they have the different pipe positioning shown in the first photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, I cropped these pics from the 748 50mm half system I had before and the 998 one I have now...again, slightly different angles, and I sure wish I'd taken pics of them flipped over, but the relative position of the two inlet pipes looks the same on these to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with this on U.S.-spec bikes. I don't want to stick someone with pipes that won't fit their bike.
Josby,

A few months ago, I tried to swap my 748-916-996 Termi 45-50mm half-system from my 2002 748 to my 2002 998.
The result was a terrible exhaust leak where the midpipe mated to the existing exhaust pipes.

A while back, I was very fortunate to find a 998 specific half-system (similar to yours) that I installed a few weeks ago.
The fitment was MUCH better, and the pesky exhaust leak was fixed!

So.....in my experience, the 998 requires a '998-specific' half-system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So.....in my experience, the 998 requires a '998-specific' half-system.
Interesting. I'm amazed that Ducati would bother making a change small enough to make the pipes still mate up, but not mate up well! But, I've seen other instances of them doing dumb stuff like that (e.g. making the fixed-steering-head 748's not compatible with Ohlins forks).

Thanks for clearing this up for us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts