Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, looking for input on the first mods for the 998 I'm picking up next week. I could do a set of carbon fiber wheels, which I know will make a HUGE difference in performance. However, that will leave me with zero funds for additional mods until later down the road. Second choice, I could go with either a half system or dull system exhaust, plus a Power Commander and dyno tuning. I know that the overall performance gains are less than the carbon fiber wheels, however, there's the sound factor! So are carbon fiber wheels really worth it on a street bike that only might see the track? Or should I go with exhaust.

·
comrade moderator
27,175 Posts
I feel just the opposite. The pipes will sound cool and you may pick up a tiny bit of power which is fun when you're wide open, but that's a very small amount of time on the street (or even on the track).

The wheels will pay dividends any time the bike is rolling. I'd go wheels.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Get the bike running good first, then go with the wheels

520 chain kit, and proper gearing
exhaust, filter, pc-3
get the suspension set up for your weight

then i would go for the wheels!!!!

good luck i have a 02 998, and i love it!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Get the wheels first then set your suspension up with
them on.
They are the best mod i have done on my bike which i use only
on the road 916sps, no engine power mods.
The bike handles fantastic with the carbon wheels much more
nimble, plus they look 110%.

brian.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
1) Wheels
2) Suspension setup
3) Brembo 4 pad calipers from the 998R/748R (outstanding for just $200-300)
4) Slipons/Power Commander with generic map
5) Carrie Ann Moss in vinyl
6) Trackdays
7) Mid-pipes and proper tuning on a dyno. (Should an extra 6 hp on an already potent 998 be a huge priority?)

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you decide on the wheels first you'll have zero funds left and if you do the wheels like the photo below, you won't be riding until next summer (if possible). Then you'd be in negative funds.

How'r the mounting points for the brake rotors on those CF wheels?
I've never seen on but seems scary.

Are you going to ride the hell out of that bike to the max?
Are you going to compete or just ride around and some track days for fun?

Looks hot though

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1) Wheels
2) Suspension setup
3) Brembo 4 pad calipers from the 998R/748R (outstanding for just $200-300)
4) Slipons/Power Commander with generic map
5) Carrie Ann Moss in vinyl
6) Trackdays
7) Mid-pipes and proper tuning on a dyno. (Should an extra 6 hp on an already potent 998 be a huge priority?)
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You mean she DOESN'T come with the bike?:eek:

But seriously, the opinions were a little different than what I thought I would get. Wheels first, suspension first, other stuff first... The bike will see mostly road use, and pretty regularly at that. I've never done a track day, but I would like to! But the track is expensive, and the nearest one is about 180 miles away (VIR)! So it might be a bit longer than I'd like for my first track day. As for competing, it'd be fun but it's just not in the cards right now (too much $$$$$). I know I'll miss the sound of an exhaust, but being one of the lesser cost mods (thanks to eBay and used parts for sale in the classified section) I know I'd be able to get one sooner or later. So I guess I am really asking is it best to put the money into one really expensive mod (carbon wheels), or to spread the wealth and spend some on suspension set up, engine/exhaust, etc?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Instead of carbon, why not magnesium wheels? More suited for road (ab)use imo.
My firt mod would be a full system :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
...asking is it best to put the money into one really expensive mod (carbon wheels), or to spread the wealth and spend some on suspension set up, engine/exhaust, etc?
suspension set-up is $40 and is always 1st

full exhaust/dyno is about as much as the wheels. IME a smooth running beast is much better than a stalling or surging duck, so if you have any issues (including wanting more hp) then this is 2nd.

and just doing a slip on would be kind of a waste of funds if you know you will do the full monty so this is as expensive as your wheels. IMO wheels are the icing on the cake and i'd do after my engine was perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Wheels.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gentlemen,

“C.F. Wheels are safe for any road, drag racing, or road racing use” Period” I have a set of BST wheels on my 02 TLR with 190rwhp being applied to them, also plenty of drag racers run bst wheels, and launching a 500+rwhp Busa, will put those bst wheels to the test better than any road racing ducati!!!!

Lan, that picture was from a guy who wrecked that bike, the wheels broke during the wreck and they did not cause the wreck.

This is how you get 190rwhp out of a TLR

·
Registered
790 Posts
Gentlemen,

“C.F. Wheels are safe for any road, drag racing, or road racing use” Period” I have a set of BST wheels on my 02 TLR with 190rwhp being applied to them, also plenty of drag racers run bst wheels, and launching a 500+rwhp Busa, will put those bst wheels to the test better than any road racing ducati!!!!

Lan, that picture was from a guy who wrecked that bike, the wheels broke during the wreck and they did not cause the wreck.

[/IMG]
Oki. thanks, just wanted to know :D

Sounds good.
I thought about the mags..but, they have their weaknesses too and I ran out of funds at that time heh..

full exhaust/dyno is about as much as the wheels. IME a smooth running beast is much better than a stalling or surging duck, so if you have any issues (including wanting more hp) then this is 2nd.

and just doing a slip on would be kind of a waste of funds if you know you will do the full monty so this is as expensive as your wheels. IMO wheels are the icing on the cake and i'd do after my engine was perfect.
Damn straight :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lan, you got one beautiful 996, great pic's of that bike!!! very nice!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well the magnesium wheels I've seen for sale are more expensive, heavier, and are (according to BST) no stronger than the carbon wheels.

Well, I was looking at the Ferracci website and they have a 54mm full system for the 998 (yes, a standards non-deep sump 998, not an S/R although they list that system too) listed for $1,695. Power Commander is about $350. Adjusting the cams and dyno tuning... not sure but I can't really see it being another $1,300 on top of that. I'm pretty sure with those mods done, that's all I'd want to power. There's also the NCR/Sil Motor titanium half system for sale at Desmo Works for $1300. However, would I be remiss not getting the wheels instead?

Oh and here's a link to the FBF full exhaust:
FBF - Ducati - Exhaust 998 '02 54mm

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can anyone comment on the FBF full system I posted a link to? (Two posts up.):confused:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think I may forgo the wheels for the time being. I'll concentrate on getting the motor dialed in and change the gearing. So now the question is do I go with just a half system or full exhaust? There are a few posts on this, mostly for 748-996 which, from what I've read, don't respond to a larger exhaust the same way the 998 does. So I'm leaning towards the full system offered by Ferracci for the base model 998. Anyone have any experience with 998 FBF full exhaust?

Click here.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
My experience has been that FBF uses a sand glass errr sun dial to measure time when building/ordering/prep-ing/delivering your order. :eek:
The 50% up front and expect no promised delivery date should be a clue...any promise they will keep anyway. If you don't mind waiting an unspecified period of time, I am sure the cool FBF decal will be worth it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think you'll be happier with the FBF than the wheels for now.
Yeh, I'd go with FBF. Are you also getting some ecu or pc?..Some clutch stuff...Air Filters...

Let's see how it all goes! :D

Lan, you got one beautiful 996, great pic's of that bike!!! very nice!!!
:D
Thanks man

1 - 20 of 46 Posts