Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got around to checking the size of the rear sprocket on my '02 998. Is a 36T sprocket really stock? What's the limit of increase before I need a new chain? TIA

bruce19

·
Registered
382 Posts
yeah, 36T is stock... I believe 37T and 38T you will need a 520 chain, and 39T its a 525 chain. It is recommended (various threads) that you replace all 3 at the same time (front, rear and chain).

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think the general rule of thumb is you can go +2 on the rear without having to get a longer chain.

·
Registered
403 Posts
36 is stock...and it sucks. Definitely geared WAY too high (unless you are on a track with a really long straight). Don't personally know if the stock chain will take +2 on the rear, but likely it would. It will definitely take -1 up front, though (cheaper, easier and a bigger change than +2 rear). 525 is the width, not length, though, so that won't change. If you need more info on chains and their descriptions, I wrote something in the hall of wisdom forum a couple months back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts