Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decide to upgrade my lights to the Gotham HID setup on my 998.

I am having a problem with the low beam side.

Here are the symptoms:

-Key turned to the on position. Low beam is on.
-Start motor, low beam turns off and will not turn on.

In order to reset the low beam, I must turn key to OFF and try the cycle again.

I have to start/stop bike a few times for the low beam to stay on.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Faulty ballast?:think:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotham

Mike is number one! I have ordered from him
A couple times and he is always help full.

He offered to swap the ballast, but before I do that I was hoping someone had a quick fix!

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I did not install a relay. Do I need to? What type do you suggest?
I suggest it. It helps regulate the current flow to the ballast, insuring that theres enough, and that there's not to much current. It will also protect your stock harness from being friend. Generally, if you have quality ballast, and a quality bulb without relay, a relay will solve it.

I'm not sure what kind ballast or bulbs you're using. There is a big difference between oem, high quality aftermarket, or Ddm/equivalent ballasts.

I'd contact theretrofitsource.com. They have good relays, made for motorcycles. Basically whatever your stock bulb size is, the relay will be the same.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
There is no Switch to trip the low beam
Off and on.

If i have the wires exposed and I disconnect/reconnect power to the ballast it does reset.

What do you suggest?
I suggest two things;

1: Fit a switch with an on/off, they are available as they were fitted to all Euro models, this may fix the problem but is a better option anyway.

2: Fit a separate relay for the HID, use the wire that went to the bulb (now to the ballast) to activate the relay but run the power to the relay directly from the battery (through a fuse) with a heavier gauge cable and use the same gauge cable from the relay to the ballast, also run a separate heavy-gauge earth cable direct from the battery negative rather than rely on the connection to the frame.

The wiring on these bikes is not of sufficient gauge to handle the load and starting the bike causes a voltage drop that trips the HID out.

I did this on my 916 as without the heavy-gauge cable it would sometimes trip the HID out, which would then re-start if I switched it off/on, also I fitted the same relay setup to my high beam (non HID) and it switches on faster and brighter - I also fitted a 100w bulb to the high beam, something I would have been wary of with the original wiring.

My bike has been like this for several years with no issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did the Euro switch and it's plug and play and works perfectly, no relay needed.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've seen several on ebay over the last week, you can also check ebay.uk

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have done a number or retrofits on different cars.. dukedesmo is spoton with his advise..

one thing i would like to add. what ive learned through the years of fiddling with different ballasts is that your going to need an oem quality ballast. the knockoffs usually die out or are very finiky especially on low current setups like ur bike.

Ill be doing something similar soon. If it was up to me id stay away from the kits and just spend the money and source out some used parts on ebay.

a good quality ballast like hella mirromotos or some of the new slim ballasts that retrofitsource.com offers are great (ive bought from him before)

ballast, good quality bulb, relay and heavy gauge wire is all u need. HID draw far less current than halogen bulbs, but the downside is. right at the startup, that split second the ballast draws a VERY high amount of current then drops down after the bulb has ignited and heated to its proper temp. at the start is when ur wiring is most vulnrable.

good luck.

ps. hid bulbs in helogen housings never look right... you wind up blinding oncoming traffic since ur beam pattern is thrown off. it looks like ur highbeaming all the time. I have a set of Acura TSX xenons im going to try to fit in a spare headlight bucket with some simple brackets... ill post pics soon :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts