Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the headlight on my 998 is fogging up. i would assume that this is because there is moisture on the inside of my headlights but i am on my 2nd 998 and both have had this issue.

is this a common issue? does anyone have advice on how to keep this from happening?

thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
My low beam did the same thing. Sucks.

Flash

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think it is a quirk of the bike as mine is the same. I was watching speed channel the other day and there is a product that cleans them up ... can't remember the name of it though ... sorry.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sure would like to get rid of the fogging...

Flash

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Headlight Fogging

Ducati headlight fogging is a common problem. Similar to the milky film you get on the inside of the windows in a new car. It results from the out-gassing of plastic parts caused by heat. Take the light apart and clean the inside of the lens with Windex. Usually, you only have to do it once. The lens remains clear after that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just cleaned mine. Beyond the fairing removal, removing the headlight assembly and getting to the lens' inside to clean didn't take that long. The low beam side was easiest to do by removing the projector assembly and simply reaching inside to clean. The high beam side requires a little ingenuity. . .a large cotton pad on a long enough stick (or similar) will do the trick to reach through the bulb hole. ---Overall, it's an EZ task. If you know your bike well enough, it will take less than an hour . . . to remove your fairings, to remove the headlight, to clean both left and right lens, and to put everything back together.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just cleaned mine last weekend and agree with all the posters above - it was easier to do than I expected it to be.

Be sure to note the up/down orientation of the projector assembly when you take it out so you can put it back in right, and also don't crank down the two nuts holding its black plastic backing on too much. I did and when I picked up the headlight assembly after that, that plastic cover piece cracked. I super-glued it back together then just tightened it by hand with a socket and extension (i.e. no ratchet) and it seems ok.

Also be sure to measure the spacing between the headlight assembly and the bucket at the bottom before you loosen the adjusting screw to take it out, so you can reinstall it without having to mess with readjusting the beam height.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Also be sure to measure the spacing between the headlight assembly and the bucket at the bottom before you loosen the adjusting screw to take it out, so you can reinstall it without having to mess with readjusting the beam height.
If I take the headlights out I always sit the bike on the rearstand and draw a line on the garage wall through the beam cutoff, that way when I refit it (assuming bike not moved) I can quickly reset to the same height as before.

Failing that I have a permanent line on the end of the garage wall that when the bike is at the other end of the room, backed up to the wall gives me the perfect headlight height and because it's indoors it is dark enough (with the doors closed) to set it in the daytime.

My headlights were fogged, I cleaned them with some window cleaning liquid by pouring some in, swilling it around and then, for the high beam using a wire coat hanger with a small wad of material on the end, for the low beam you can get your fingers in when the headlight unit is out - I did this some years ago and it's not fogged again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm glad i'm not the only person having this issue. sounds like i need to take the headlight assembly apart and get in there to clean it. i hope i have the same success that others have had in it not fogging up again after that.

thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts