Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
After getting gas for a capo d'anno ride, my headlights, horn, dash lights and turn signals were out.
Once at the meetup point, I checked fuses and wiggled connectors. No response.

Back at the house, I checked the bike again and saw that I had brake lights but nothing else.

After checking all the fuses today, same result. :( Does anyone have any ideas what is going on and how to fix the problem?

Btw, the bike is mechanically fine and I just changed the battery about two months ago. Also, everything was working when I left the house Sunday morning.

Grazie!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I have no answer but I have similar issues in a 1098 -2008
may be some kind soul will help us both
plese check below description of my case

QUOTE=Ivan Dumot;3244313]Hello,

Yesterday I was riding my bike (2008 1098) and a few miles before reaching my house, certain electronic components stopped working. I thought it was just a glitch but the problems persisted.

Here is what happens.

When you turn the key to the first position everything that is supposed to light up on the display unit works properly. A few seconds after turning on the engine, the following things fail to work and obviously do not light up on the display.

- The display's indiglo turns off (its dark in my garage)
- Turn signals do not work
- Both Low (which always should be on, as you guys know) and High beam lights do not work
- The green Neutral light shuts off

The following components still work even with above mentioned not working.

- Tachometer and speedometer work
- Thermometer reads and displays appropriately
- Clock and mileage counter work
- The rear light works, even when you apply the brakes.
- License plate light
- The 2 small lights next to the Low and High beams.

I know this is kind of confusing but I cannot figure out what it might be. Ive disconnected and reconnected the battery, but the problems persist. Ive checked the fuses and they are all working appropriately. On a different note, the bike is bone stock, which makes me wonder why something like this would happen. Another thing that surprised me is that the warning light has not come on to alert me of any issue that may have caused such problems.

I apologize for the long post, but I rather be thorough than leave anything out. If any of you guys have any idea or have had similar problems, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks for your time[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It's been a while since I have been into my 998 as it's one of those 'push the button and ride it' reliable bikes. I'd start by taking the main multi pin connectors apart alongside the headlight assembly. These Tyco weathertight connectors aren't as tight as they say they are.
Look for corrosion on the pins and sockets.

Then look at the screw together round metal connector that is fixed on the right side frame rail under the tank. Loosen the two halves and wiggle it to see if your stuff comes alive. This one has round pins that will lose contact. I tightened up the female half of them to grip better.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
sounds like a fuse or power not getting getting to the fuse (will need a multimeter for this). could be something unplugged or a corroded plug, bad wire. its something along those lines, you will need a multimeter and a wiring schematic to track down the fault.
how did you check the fuses? if you dont know how to troubleshoot wiring problems, see if some one you can help. it can a pain the butt to track down especially if you dont how to do it. it's hard say whats wrong with my actually looking at it and working it.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
I'll give you a clue... the horn, headlights, turn signals, dash lights and park lights are all fed by the main relay #3 on the diagram.
See attached.

davy

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been a while since I have been into my 998 as it's one of those 'push the button and ride it' reliable bikes. I'd start by taking the main multi pin connectors apart alongside the headlight assembly. These Tyco weathertight connectors aren't as tight as they say they are.
Look for corrosion on the pins and sockets.

Then look at the screw together round metal connector that is fixed on the right side frame rail under the tank. Loosen the two halves and wiggle it to see if your stuff comes alive. This one has round pins that will lose contact. I tightened up the female half of them to grip better.
How did you tighten up the female connectors. I'm having the same problem with my 998. I have cleaned the connectors but still lose the headlight and temp gauge. If I push on the round plug over the battery I'll get my power back to them. I haven't determined if the bad connection is at the pin to pin connection or at the wire to pin connection yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts