Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know I've got a "vintage" 998 track bike but can anyone help with the hunt for a full 50mm [or larger] exhaust system. The full DP kit [96427402B] would be great if under $1,000,000 dollars. looks like 50mm Ti system, cams, and the ECU which isn't that important as I have a power commander. There seems to be 1/2 systems everywhere or full Ti euro exotic systems for ONLY $2800 Euro...... no thanks. New or used I could care less.

Additionally a set of 6-bolt rotors with 15mm offset is also proving hard to find at a reasonable price.

What are you guys running?

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Not sure of the diameters available for the 998 specifically, but Testastrettas repsond well to big pipes. Get some 57mm's if you can find 'em or at least 54mm... The cams are interchangable with the 999's as well, look around for a used set off a '05+ 999/999S

·
Registered
746 Posts
Stock non deep sump pipes are 45mm.

The 45/50mm not really worth cost/output you get from them.
DP ECU has different ignition timing curve (I believe)....

I went down this road many years ago, the cost to do mods, bolt ons etc etc.
Worked out cheaper and better for me to get an 05 999S engine.
Then the cost for pipes (60mm) was cost effective for performance + Nemesis.

Has been a few sets of 54 and 57mm pipes on Ebay, when you see them move quick.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I went from a stock '02 998 biposto (with Sil Moto CF cans) to an '02 Bayliss 998S just last year. The original owner of the Bayliss had installed a 50mm full TI system with Sil Moto TI cans. When new both these bikes had the 123 hp 998 motor. These motors are now so different it's like night and day. The Bayliss is a lot stronger everywhere. So much so that I'm wondering if it also has DP cams or something. I base this in part on the different fuel comsumption. The Biposto regularly got 40-45 mpg in town and could hit 50 mpg on the interstate. The Bayliss is good for 35-38 mpg in town and 40 mpg on the interstate. My son took both bikes out and did roll ons with his friends R6. The Biposto would run with it but the Bayliss left it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
998 full exhaust

guys,
Great comments but what size exhaust do you suggest with the following mods:
  • 999 heads from a 2005 model year bike with the higher HP
  • oversize intake tubes
  • high flow air filter element
  • dyno tuned power commander
I have easy access to a full 54mm system.
Or do I hold out for a 57mm system. Without significant porting etc would the 57mm system make a difference.

Note - this is a full track bike. High RPM use only.

jonathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts