Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I reciently got the bad news my rocker arms need replacing/recoating on my 99' 996s. In addition I'm told the cam shaft should be replaced. The repair cost warrents looking for a replacement engine. Can anyone tell me if a 998 engine will fit into a 99' 996s frame without modification? Also has anyone had any luck getting ducati to flip the bill for the rocker replacement in recient years. Finally how does one know if the replacement engine had the ugraded rocker arms? Thanks for any advice on this.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Search my friend, this has all been covered NUMEROUS times.

You're last question can only be answered by you, a mechanic or the seller (hopefully has receipts) otherwise, expect stock rockers.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I reciently got the bad news my rocker arms need replacing/recoating on my 99' 996s. In addition I'm told the cam shaft should be replaced. The repair cost warrents looking for a replacement engine. Can anyone tell me if a 998 engine will fit into a 99' 996s frame without modification? Also has anyone had any luck getting ducati to flip the bill for the rocker replacement in recient years. Finally how does one know if the replacement engine had the ugraded rocker arms? Thanks for any advice on this.
It's a 10 yr motor, trying to get Ducati to pay for worn out rockers may be more trouble than it's worth. They can claim 10 yrs of usage, case closed.
Getting another motor with unknown maintenance is a crap shoot. You could get megacycle rockers (supposedly they are better than OEM).
I would rebuild with megacycle rockers, new cam and have peace of mind knowing that the top end is in good shape.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice !

·
Registered
67 Posts
You'd need more than just a 998 (testastretta) engine to replace your 996 (desmoquattro) engine. I know the airboxes are different. I'd imagine the ECUs are different. It's not as easy as unplug, replace.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Also, the 998 motor won't exactly work in your bike without buying the proper wiring harness, ECU, throttle bodies, airbox and likewise many other parts. It will fit, no problem, it will eventually work with no problem, but you've gotta do a complete conversion.

If you're dead-set on keeping the bike, its a smart idea to do the conversion as well, the 996's and 748's were notorious for chewing up rockers, even after replacement. You might wanna look on ebay and see if you can score a used motor, wiring harness, ECU, throttle bodies and airbox. Usually people parting bikes/motors, have all the parts you need.

Then you can take the motor bare, already out of the bike and give it to the shop thats currently working on your bike. Have them re-build it and you should be good to go. YES it will be costly (few grand) but when you're done, the bike shouldn't ever fail again. Key word here... "shouldn't". On the other hand, for a grand, you could fix the 996 and be back on the road. Sell the bike, get your money out of it and buy a nice used 998S or 998FE (later model years are better) and be done with it. The choice is up to you!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Megacycle rockers -- we broke several back when I was racing 748s. Never broke a stock rocker, but certainly did replace a bunch of them for wear.

The latest OEM rockers are supposed to be improved, but I'd just consider them a wear item on 748/916/996 bikes and plan accordingly. We noticed less wear on the 996 vs. the 748, and *much* less wear on streetbikes vs. racebikes, naturally.

As for replacing the cams, I'd perhaps get a second opinion on that. Ducati cams are notoriously cobby looking, so your may just be normal. I seem to remember Sigma in the UK offered cam polishing, which supposedly helped with the rocker wear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, the 998 motor won't exactly work in your bike without buying the proper wiring harness, ECU, throttle bodies, airbox and likewise many other parts. It will fit, no problem, it will eventually work with no problem, but you've gotta do a complete conversion.

If you're dead-set on keeping the bike, its a smart idea to do the conversion as well, the 996's and 748's were notorious for chewing up rockers, even after replacement. You might wanna look on ebay and see if you can score a used motor, wiring harness, ECU, throttle bodies and airbox. Usually people parting bikes/motors, have all the parts you need.

Then you can take the motor bare, already out of the bike and give it to the shop thats currently working on your bike. Have them re-build it and you should be good to go. YES it will be costly (few grand) but when you're done, the bike shouldn't ever fail again. Key word here... "shouldn't". On the other hand, for a grand, you could fix the 996 and be back on the road. Sell the bike, get your money out of it and buy a nice used 998S or 998FE (later model years are better) and be done with it. The choice is up to you!
Thanks for all the advice. I've got all winter to figure this out (I live in Alaska)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Don't waste your time in doing the 998 conversion....like it was mentioned by many before this, there is just way to much you would need to do! Either way it would be fun, but expensive! I did the 748 to 996 and had a ball doing it, but I bought a used motor off ebay and ran it for about 500 miles before spinning a connecting rod bearing! The motor came out of a crashed bike that must have ran for a mintue or so while on it's side.....no oil for that mintue caused the failure....but the seller said it was perfect!!!! Fair warrening is all I can say.....$1400 later and it runs great! I would rebuild your 996 motor before doing anything else! Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts