Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I hope that someone can point me in the right direction on this. Whilst out on my last ride I lost my neutral light. When I got home I found that in fact none of the lights on the bike work! In all, I have lost:-
-Neutral light
-Turn signals
-Turn signal idiot light
-Low-beam
-High beam
-Brake lights

Just now I have checked and replaced every single fuse in the fuse box under the right side fairing, above the battery. No difference.

The fuel pump primes and the motor starts and runs fine.

I would really appreciate some suggestions what to check next but please talk to me like the idiot I am - I am generally no good with electrics, so suggesting I test the continuity of the flux-capicitor or the resistance in the warp-core is going to go straight over my head.

Many thanks in advance,

Spin

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would ck the relays at the bottom of the batt box I had a issue where mine all went green from corrosion and nothing worked

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
How about the dash lights?

Horn?

Something is likely wrong with the light switch on the left bar, or somehow it became disconnected.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
302 Posts
You said you replaced the relays, did you measure if there is in fact voltage at the relays? When you switch stuff on and off, are the new relays clicking?

You'll have to get a multimeter out for this one to narrow it down more. I bet there is a single ground or supply wire somewhere that's fallen off or something.

Which reminds me, I have to figure out why my turn signals stopped working properly on my 998 as well. Somehow pushing the switch right makes both of them flash, but then the idiot light doesn't work any more. Left behaves normally.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I have done some of the recommended checks and there have been some developments.
Firstly, the problem has become intermittent and variable - faaaantastic! Yesterday things were as described above. Today, when I turn on the ignition:-
- All dash lights work, indicators blink, brake lights illuminate, parking/side/driving (whichever you prefer to call them) all work
- Still OK with at first position of the sliding headlight switch.
- Until I move the sliding switch to the "headlights on" position, then all lights go out.
- The same happens if the motor is running, except the tacho needle falls to zero as well.

I (well, Namor) figured that the left-hand switch cluster may be at fault, but I have tried to be methodical so I have done the following:-
- Undone, cleaned and refastened both battery terminals
- The same for the earth/ground connection on top of the gear box
- Checked the relays for the activation click (all OK) then disconnected, cleaned and reinstalled
- Removed the left hand switch cluster and its sub-loom, opened it up, disassembled the internal covers and cleaned/inspected. Other than the spray grease I applied about 10 years ago, everything is good with no signs of corrosion, chaffing, loose connections, etc. Reinstalled everything back to as I started.
No difference - as soon as I move the slider to the "headlights on" position, all other lights (and the headlights) fail. Here is a slightly weird symptom - if I move the sliding switch back to "lights off", after about 3 seconds, the other lighting systems come back on.
Electricity - aaarrrrghhh!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have any suggestions for any other typically suspect earths/grounds that I can investigate?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Vtwin and Nick11.
Can you tell me where the headlight high/low beam relay is hiding?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Should be the Main relay left of the battery. Someone correct me if I am wrong, small one is kickstand relay, yellow is fuel pump, and the black one is Main relay.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks Vtwin and Nick11.
Can you tell me where the headlight high/low beam relay is hiding?
Vtwin’s diagram ,, the 996 has 2 relays mounted to the top of the headlight bucket ,, 998 may be the same.
One for the low beam & one for the high beam .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts