Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this site
I have a customers 998 in the shop and it randomly cuts out. starts out at hi rpm then as the bike gets warmer it happens more often. I changed the computer, fuel tank, pick up sensors. repaired wiring to the fuel pump relay, stator and the multi pin plug on the right hand side. When the bike cuts out you have to turn the key off and on to restart.

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
307 Posts
Did you check the key-operated switch? Could be a dirty connector or a short there. Spray it with electrical cleaner or check for frayed wiring. Do you lose the lights when it stops running? If so I would think it was the switch.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You sound like you know what you're doing, so I expect you've covered this, but JIC check the connector block for the ignition pick up sensor (hangs in front of the water pump).

My 998 had similar symptoms, and this connect was full of water.

Good luck,

Spin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lights stay on when the bike cuts out.
when i changed the pick up sensor with a working unit off another customers bike i checked the plug then.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Kickstand switch? Bypass it at the nearest connector and have him ride it, just have to be careful. Sounds odd that you need to rekey to reset the problem - like a lock-out. Is there an immobilizer on 998's?

·
Registered
176 Posts
When you changed out the ECU did you set it up with the Mathesis? The map in the ECU might be all out of whack...Also was this bike crashed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you changed out the ECU did you set it up with the Mathesis? The map in the ECU might be all out of whack...Also was this bike crashed?

as far as i know bike has not been dropped and computer was the standard unit that came with the bike. i don't have access to a Mathesis

·
Registered
176 Posts
What was wrong with multi pin? and the fuel pump wiring? Does the bike sound like its running out of fuel? So is the ECU original or a new one? can you stick it in a different bike and see if it runs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
multi pin plug had 2 pins pushed back. fuel pump relay had what looks like and alarm was tapped into it so cut and repaired wires. when the bike is on the dyno and it happens the tacho signal to the dyno drops out and the fuel goes lean like you have turned the key off but all the lights are on when it happens. while the bike is running down on the dyno you turn the key on and off tthe bike starts again. alarm is not fitted to the bike and wasn't when it came to me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After pulling all the electrical connector apart and cleaning all the contacts.
armed with another ignition switch and by pass ready for the side stand it was back on the dyno.

cleaning all the contacts made no change.
next was the ignition switch back didn't cut out looks like i found it. so i swap the switch back just too confirm, bike doesn't cut out but it suddenly drops the front cylinder. changed the ignition switch back no change.

checked spark on the front cylinder OK

lifted the tank and started the bike no injector.

changed the injector harness to the rear cylinder now no injector on the rear cylinder.
so it's a fault with the wiring or the computer.
changed computer again, no different.
started testing the wiring from the computer to the injector no continuity on the computer side. started cutting the cut back and probing along the wire trying to find the brake all of a sudden i has continuity again. priced a new harness $1000 US.
being as this is a track bike the owner was happy for me to run a new wire from the computer to the injector. back on the dyno bike running great.
now I'm just waiting for the owner to take it on a good test ride but things are looking good.

thanks for every one help

·
Registered
176 Posts
After pulling all the electrical connector apart and cleaning all the contacts.
armed with another ignition switch and by pass ready for the side stand it was back on the dyno.

cleaning all the contacts made no change.
next was the ignition switch back didn't cut out looks like i found it. so i swap the switch back just too confirm, bike doesn't cut out but it suddenly drops the front cylinder. changed the ignition switch back no change.

checked spark on the front cylinder OK

lifted the tank and started the bike no injector.

changed the injector harness to the rear cylinder now no injector on the rear cylinder.
so it's a fault with the wiring or the computer.
changed computer again, no different.
started testing the wiring from the computer to the injector no continuity on the computer side. started cutting the cut back and probing along the wire trying to find the brake all of a sudden i has continuity again. priced a new harness $1000 US.
being as this is a track bike the owner was happy for me to run a new wire from the computer to the injector. back on the dyno bike running great.
now I'm just waiting for the owner to take it on a good test ride but things are looking good.

thanks for every one help
Wow that was a tough one...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts