Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please post up the instructions for adjusting the chain tension on a 998? Pictures would be worth a 1000 words.

Thanks,

Flash

·
Registered
790 Posts
Not sure if 996 is same as yours, but should be similar.
Loosen the 2 bolts and use your C-Spanner on that thing behind the rear sprocket that I highlighted to slacken (clockwise) / Tighten (anticlockwise) the chain. Should be about 20mm-25mm slack I think. I'd have to double check. The swing arm has a sticker. It should say there. Then torque those 2 bolts to *nm (I'd have to recheck)
*This is based on my 996, but you'll get the idea.

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Super easy. You will need a 14mm socket or wrench and the semi-circular adjuster from your tool kit. Put your bike on a rear axle stand or jack it up. Loosen the two 14mm pinch bolts at the very back of the swingarm. Use the special tool and handle to rotate the eccentric hub until you can move the midpoint of the bottom chain run almost an inch up and down. Rotate the wheel and check the chain tension in several spots to make sure there are no tight spots. Tighten the two pinch bolts. Done.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Rear stand or Side stand?
Hayne's says SideStand.
What do you think? (just checking)
The chain tightens when on rear stand.
It's really easy. Much quicker than the Japanese bikes (with the different design) You'll be done in like 5 mins.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Rear stand or Side stand?
Hayne's says SideStand.
What do you think? (just checking)
The chain tightens when on rear stand.
It's really easy. Much quicker than the Japanese bikes (with the different design) You'll be done in like 5 mins.
I do it on the rear stand as it's so much easier and you won't drop your bike, plus how do you check tension all round when the bike's on the ground?

The chain tension isn't/shouldn't be much different either way as the weight of the bike is still held by the bike, even if the sidestand is not taking some of it.

I use 25-30mm on the rear stand, if it's then slightly looser on the sidestand then that's OK, better too loose than too tight IMO.

But, if your'e really anal about it you could always set it on the rearstand then measure on the side then adjust on the rearstand but that little bit looser to compensate.

Of course changing the chain tension also alters the rideheight, so you may want to check that too.

And yes chain adjustment is the easiest of any bike I've worked on, I was fitting a chain yesterday to my son's Gilera and had forgotten what a PITA adjusting a 'regular' chain was......

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I think the 998 is the same as the 996. Looks easy. Thanks again. You guys Rock!:)

Flash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts