Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
i have a lot of trouble with my old 1999 Duc996 and i consider buying a hole 998 bike with a testaretta and build into the 996 frame.
i have been googling and i can find some issues about bolt fittings, and airbox fittings but it seems a bit cloudy what the problems are...
does anyone know if the 996 & 998 Frames are 100% identical? ( i can't see any difference on pics from the net)

if no, what exactly do i need to swap?

the reason i want to use the 996 frame, is because the available of 998 is very low and the VAT, Tax and insurance rules in DK makes it a lot cheaper than buying a 998, so i can simply pick up an 998 in some of the neighbour countries and build it into my frame.

i will be grateful for any experience on this.

THX
Claus

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
The big difference is in the heads. They are narrower than the 916/996 DQ heads. This changes the throttle body and intake manifold orientation. The "V" shaped crossmember under the throttle bodies on the 998 is positoined lower than a 996 so there is a fitment problem trying to put a 998 into a 996. Coils are also relocated. the air box is different, but would bolt to the frame and work with 998 stuff if installed. It's been done, but not without mods. Wiring harness and ECU are also completly different. Not sure if maybe you could get the 996 ECU to work by just having a chip made. Forget Google. Search this forum for info. There is a long running tread in the Superbike section about installing 1098 and 1198 engines in these bikes.

Reactions: duplo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Yes i have read some of the treads, all about fitting a engine to the 996, but that's not what I want.

But maybe my question wasn't precise enough :)

I will move a complete 998 bike (air box,engine, wiring, Ecu, wheels) to the 996 frame.

So my question is: Is the two frames 100% identical or do I have to change the 996 frame to fit the entire 998 bike?

Thanks
Claus

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
So my question is: Is the two frames 100% identical
The answer is no. The difference is the V shaped cross member below the throttle bodies and the coil location. The 998 has a lower, or more V shaped, cross member and the coil mounts are outside the frame rails, which is part of the reason the 998 body work does not have the big side vents. That's where the coils now live. Both of which can and have been modified to work, but it is not a bolt in swap. If you tried to fit a 998 engine and throttle bodies into a 996 frame, there would be some interference from the 996 frame's cross member.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Lifted some pics from ebay. Pictures tell the tale!

996 frame and coil mounts.

998 frame and coil mounts

On both bikes, the throttle bodies have to fit over that cross member.

Reactions: duplo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much, that was exactly what I want:) I tried googling for the pics, but couldn't find what I needed:)

So for me it's a no go... I'll probably just stick to the 996 version then.

Again thanks
Claus

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hi.
i have a lot of trouble with my old 1999 Duc996 and i consider buying a hole 998 bike with a testaretta and build into the 996 frame.

Claus
I can't help wondering if you bought a whole 998, if you know someone who can weld, why you couldn't cut the cross member and coil mounts and weld them into the 996.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the other alternative of course, skip insurance, it's a rip off, i don't have any of mine insured, i don't want them writing my bike off for something i can repair.
Hi paulmm600
I didn't by the 998 yet :)
insurance is something we need in my country, a lot of thefts, and we have a heavy tax on import.bikes and cars we pay the bike + 150% tax...

I could weld in the new peace of frame, but could get in trouble for the next road proof, and they would not allow me to drive on the road if they see the changes in the frame.. So it's a risk, I'm not Shure I want to take:)
In the last end, it would be wiser to trade in the old bike for a new one :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts