Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

What color/graphics on a bastard 998/1098?

• SPS Red

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Tricolore

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Why the eff should I care?

Votes: 11 21.2%
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever wonder what a 998 might look like if it had a 1098 engine in it? WONDER NO MORE!!!

Attachments

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
:eek::think::abduct:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
VERY NICE Daniel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are my new hero. ;)

I just bought a 748/996 frame I plan to modify to fit a teste motor and add an 848 into it. That of course when I get the other projects done. :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Did you take more pics during the build? Did you have to modify engine mounts or cut / weld the frame to get it to fit? Those intakes look HUGE! Road test yet to get a feel for stability? What exhaust did you cram in there?

I'm predicting this to be a quite popular thread. Nice work Daniel!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks great. I have to ask why though. Isn't the new frame and swing arm a needed advancement to the design?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics were taken just the other day. It's still a work in progress. My 916 engine died and this seemed to be the logical progression. The exhaust is the Termignoni 70mm full system. It fits (barely) and will take a little adjusting. I was going to use my 916 frame but I traded it for a 998 frame. Basically made a whole new bike. If the 748/996 is 2000 or '01 I believe the bolt holes will be 12mm (as the 998 and all new SBK's). The 998 frame required NO modification to fit the 1098 engine. If you use the 748/996 frame I'm sure you will have issues fitting the throttle bodies. See pic.

The front velocity stack is pretty close to the frame, but I'm working on fabbing a custom airbox for it. Also, 1098's hold the injectors in the airbox lid so I'll have to cook up something else (ala 748r or 998)

Attachments

·
Banned
138 Posts
Nice work Daniel!!! That was one of the few questions I had remaining. I'm sure many others would love to continue watching this thread...

·
Super Moderator
8,245 Posts
That bike is gonna kick some serios @ss.

Good job!

//amullo

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1098 airbox bottom half and 748R top half.

it's coming together...

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
are you using the 998 radiator, oil cooler? What about the instrument cluster is it the 998 or the 1098?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1098 radiator, oil cooler, ecu, wiring, and dash. Basically I'm transplanting the whole 1098 into a 998 frame. There's a guy in the U.K. who is doing a 1098/998 build with a 998 ecu/harness and a power commander, but I'm not sure how his progress is coming.

Daniel

·
Registered
57 Posts
awesome

:eek:Can't wait to see more!!:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Holy bologna!! subscribed! Can't wait to see it back together with the fairings, I hope you get some vids too...

~Chris

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow that is a great swap... I am glad to see that basic hot rodding techniques is alive and well in the Ducati community. We did a swap like this in my Mustang, 04 Cobra engine into 96 GT and the cool factor let alone the performance of a modern engine into an older platform is really neat. Can't wait to see the finished product. Great job....

·
Banned
389 Posts
very interesting. but isn't the 1098 frame more robust and stiffer to accommodate more hp?

i'm curious how this bike will handle out of a corner full throttle :D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts