Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This being my first Duc I have nothing to compare to.... question, does the 1-2 shift kind of clunk compared to the other gears. It shifts fine but there is a noticeable clunk when going into second... does this sound normal?
Thankx

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's are really simple adjustment on the 916 998 in the linkage.

Simply tighten or loosen the linkage. Done.

alexxx

·
Registered
490 Posts
To answer your earlier question, all gears should shift in and out easily and smoothly. Not as smooth and assured as a Honda, but smoothly and confidently none the less.

I've had my 916 where it's hard to get into second. After adjusting that linkage rod to the shifter, it was perfect.

alexxx

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. You know it shifts easily but I was just questioning the clunk it made when I shifted it. Im sure it is normal but I will also check the linkage adjustment.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Any follow ups on this? My 748 has a clunk from 1-2 as well. I was curious as to how normal it is. Also, under heavy acceleration, 1-2 gives me a neutral at times. Any recommendations? I have just been accelerating from 2-3 instead to compensate.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would be very interested to have a little more information on the "linkage rod adjustment" mentioned above. Can anyone oblige with a "how to" for dimwits like myself.

My 998 has always had a petty clunky gear shift, and first to second can be like slamming a van door.

Thanks,

Spin

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 998 has always had a petty clunky gear shift, and first to second can be like slamming a van door.
I guess I am not alone.... thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
borrow a GP shift....then you'll know if it's your linkage or other issue.... takes five minutes

·
Registered
75 Posts
install a reverse shift pattern pedal and you will be able to determine if the issue has do with your standard shift linkage or if it is something more insidious

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
install a reverse shift pattern pedal and you will be able to determine if the issue has do with your standard shift linkage or if it is something more insidious
How does your 998 shift from 1-2?

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey i don't mean to be a dick....but is this your first sportbike? have you done any track days....
have you done any research on to how your moto works/functions and what you can do to make it better or worse???

GP/ reverse shift....is a direct connect lever....to the shaft facing back to your toe.

it loses all the shift linkage rod and such....and the pattern of shifting changes

you now shift one up.....two through six down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted a simple question answered as this is my first Ducati.... not a big deal. Yes I do know how it functions.... have a repair manual etc. but this simple observation I had about the transmission wasn't covered.

Didn't get how the reverse shift setup would answer my question so I asked you to explain.

Does wanting to know how your bike shifts from 1-2 put you off? Just a simple question that I thought could be answered simply. Sorry man...

·
Registered
75 Posts
my apology.....really....didn't mean to come off harsh....just a little ribbing that can lose flavor if not in person i guess -

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my apology.....really....didn't mean to come off harsh....just a little ribbing that can lose flavor if not in person i guess -
No problem... I know the newb thing can be annoying and rightly so does require ribbing...

Back to the original question..... So how does your bike shift when going from 1-2 either with the stock linkage or the GP setup? This was the original question.... Got Clunk?

·
Registered
75 Posts
there is likely just no way for anyone to diagnose an internet electrical issue...let alone a percieved ....sound...

I would say when I upshift /reverse to first....it solidy goes into gear.....but i won't call it ....clunk or bang or ? But then again you may as its your first Ducati ?

just have somebody that has had a Ducati put it into gear and let them give you their real life feedback. go to some bike night if you don't know anyone....and find other Ducati riders....start some conversation....then eventually throw that question out there.....they help....we all like to get on motorcycles that arent' ours ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your input. Mine does shift solidly into second with no problems other than the difference in sound compared to 2-3 etc. I bet there is no issue other than the perceived clunk that I detect.

I was just at a bike night and I didn't think to ask the question but that is a good idea.

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've owned and ridden bikes continuously for over 30 years, and have a broad range of experience.

I had bikes with lovely slick gearshifts - Suzukis spring to mind. I owned bikes with dreadful geaboxes - a Yamaha TDM850 was the worst. Kawasakis seem to be indifferent, Hondas often give a terrible clunk selecting 1st, and from 1st to 2nd.

I've also ridden a lot of ducatis, and owned a few as well. Some have lovely, snick-snick shifts, some are like shifting with a lump hammer.

My own 998 is clunky (not as bad as the TDM) and I am interested to find out of there is adjustment in the mechanism that can affect this.

I will try fitting a shifter pedal to the gearchange shaft (eg: a race shift), to eliminate the linkage from the rearset. Personally I don't think this is the cause, but this will make sure.

Can anyone advise whether there is any other adjustment that is accessible to the home mechanic, and that may affect this?

(BTW - I have tried 4 slave cylinders of 3 types, inc. OE, so it's not that)

Thanks,

Spin

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just picked up my 998 last Friday. During the test ride I knew something was different compared to my 996. Got the bike home and made a simple adjustment to the shifter linkage. I lowered it a good half an inch to get the desired feel. It shifts so much nicer now. I'd play around with lowering your linkage a bit. Also remember that you're shifting through neutral also, which will make it seam clunkier compared to other gears.

I actually try to shift as smooth, and fluent through each of the gears. Beat on her, but treat her with love.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Good input... I did adjust my linkage to get the desired poition as you did and it did make a big difference.

I never thought about your point that you are shifting through neutral which is probably the reason that I am hearing/feeling the difference... Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts