Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! New to this forum and hoping to get some help w an issue I’ve been having w my 996sps. The bike is amazing! Faster then I expected. However, cruising on highway the bike started bogging...rpm dropping...lose of power...then dies. Start it up again and issue is GONE?? Please help

·
Registered
180 Posts
How long have you had the bike?

When were the air & fuel filters last replaced?
Factory eprom?

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had the bike?

When were the air & fuel filters last replaced?
Factory eprom?
Bike sat many years...fuel filter was changed last July from previous owner air filter was installed yesterday. It had stopped bogging last several rides but it did it on highway again yesterday

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find it happens when motor gets 140+. Maybe coincidence!? It’s weird cause when I shut bike off and restart it improves for a bit then it does it again. When this happens and give throttle there is no engine response. It may be a fueling issue?! Thx for tip

·
Flying Brit
1,825 Posts
As pointed already first thing to check is the yellow fuel pump relay next to the battery, if not could also be bad fuel filter or the beginning of a split line internal in the tank. Looks at these first but i've even had one with a fractured eprom that did the same thing as yours

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx!! Is it a coincidence that it only bogs/studers and power loss when bike gets hot? How do u check eprom? When bike was serviced, tech said all factory blueprint #s exact. Also sat for 14 years

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loss of revs when it starts to bog down. I drop through the gears. Bike still runs. No driving power! I turn off bike. I reset key to on. Starts w no issues. Seems to reset power for a bit. Only seen this when engine has run for a while. When she goes good it’s awesome. Really frustrating

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx for all ur tips. I will be trouble shooting all these tips. I’ve always wanted a tamburini bike and this is sexy as f$&@k!! I own a 15 panigale R and 11 brutale 990r. This sps is my favourite and it’s worth the xtra tlc.

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Come to think about it....there was some grit/sand around the bike....all spotless now. Maybe grit got in tank And when gas runs low this bogging happens???!

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
Maybe take a second look at the tank's interior, as you said, it sat for many years and the tank coating may have delaminated over time. Could any of these symptoms be associated with vapor lock, not as common with FI motors, but it can happen.

·
Registered
827 Posts
How's the battery? ie. how old? How's the reg/rec? giving proper voltage to the battery when running? (especially when the engine is hot). and one other thing, those two thingamajigs in the rear, beside the ECU., "Power Module", as they are called in the parts catalog. The bike is old, maybe they have reached their end. I had to replace those a few years back..

This:

·
Registered
93 Posts
You may also want to check the reg/rec.-connector behind the battery; this could be a "melting" issue....
Under the seat there are two reparated fuses; check the conditions of the connections.
Good luck!
Peter

·
Registered
99 996sps
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thx boys! Put fresh shell gas and let her rip. Ran great! Battery is not even a year old however it was sitting since July 2019. I had a sport classic that had same symptoms and change of battery did the trick. Gonna check that too. This issue doesn’t help my ocd that’s for sure! I’ll keep y’all posted

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
My money is on the fuel lines, unless you have changed them out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts