Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My 996s leaks A LOT of oil from the chain area. I've included a pic and but can't insert the video.
What could it be? Please help.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Counter shaft seal would be the obvious guess? Take off the sprocket cover and maybe also the sprocket, clean all the chain gunk off everything. Run it for a bit and you'll see where it comes from

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Take the cover off and check for signs of a chain derailment. My 996 would be fine until it warmed up, then out of the blue it would leak oil.

Drove me crazy trying to find it. One day, after a ride I left it running in my rear stand. When I did I looked all around the area and it looked like what you describe. Only when I pulled the clutch slave and the cover I couldn’t find a leak.

I finally started it back up and let it run without reinstalling anything. I found them that the alternator cover was cracked, and seemingly leaked out of the cover itself.

Not at any point near the cover/crank case join either. Oil just came out of the cover in the area normally occupied by the clutch slave where the cover curves around it.

Once I cleaned up all the old chain lube, I found the chain had derailed at some point in the life of the bike. The gouges left behind are unmistakeable.

When I removed the cover I found it cracked from the inside as well as deformed from the force of the chain striking it.

I replaced the cover and installed a case saver from MotoWheels. Luckily for me, the damage to the crank case half was negligible and a little work with a mill file dressed up the minor deformation of the mating surface.

I was not so lucky on my Supersport engine. It got a new engine and a case saver too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Counter shaft seal would be the obvious guess? Take off the sprocket cover and maybe also the sprocket, clean all the chain gunk off everything. Run it for a bit and you'll see where it comes from
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take the cover off and check for signs of a chain derailment. My 996 would be fine until it warmed up, then out of the blue it would leak oil.

Drove me crazy trying to find it. One day, after a ride I left it running in my rear stand. When I did I looked all around the area and it looked like what you describe. Only when I pulled the clutch slave and the cover I couldn’t find a leak.

I finally started it back up and let it run without reinstalling anything. I found them that the alternator cover was cracked, and seemingly leaked out of the cover itself.

Not at any point near the cover/crank case join either. Oil just came out of the cover in the area normally occupied by the clutch slave where the cover curves around it.

Once I cleaned up all the old chain lube, I found the chain had derailed at some point in the life of the bike. The gouges left behind are unmistakeable.

When I removed the cover I found it cracked from the inside as well as deformed from the force of the chain striking it.

I replaced the cover and installed a case saver from MotoWheels. Luckily for me, the damage to the crank case half was negligible and a little work with a mill file dressed up the minor deformation of the mating surface.

I was not so lucky on my Supersport engine. It got a new engine and a case saver too.
Thanks for sharing. I'm printing all the suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts