Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have looked at a 2001 996s. 43000km's and service history. Very nice bike but my VIN search is coming up invalid ZDMH100AA1B00xxxx

Its a good price and the vendor needs to sell after buying a 1198 corse. I think it is Euro model with SPS motor. Has gold pinstripe around the white which I have never notoced before. Lots of tastefull extras too.

I am hoping its bye bye Tuono and hello 996. What say you SBK club:)

Attachments

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
I believe you can contact Ducati directly and have them verify the VIN.
I think I read that on THIS site so maybe a search will net something for you.

·
Old Wizard
3,007 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that VIN. Different world regions have VINs that encode differently than U.S. bikes.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool....but why not keep both? Two different ridding styles!
Yeah but I have been dissappointed with the Tuono after the racing Gen I that i had and I have persisted for a year now with the darn thing. Anyhow the ST4s gives me a different riding style albeit with a very similar motor. The 996 motor has way more power down low than the T. It doesn't get going until 6000rpm and unless I am on a trackday its not a range I frequently ride in! And besides I have always wanted a SBK before I get too old and cannot handle the ride position. This one is mint and well looked after. 43000km's shouldn't be a problem.
Had complete new clutch, belts and valve shims done at 35000
Not sure on his choice of tyres though. Diablo strada on the front and super corsa on the back :think:
I believe you can contact Ducati directly and have them verify the VIN.
I think I read that on THIS site so maybe a search will net something for you.
yep I did that last night and received the answer. 2001 996S MON (which I guess is monoposta) Euro model so with the SPS 123 HP motor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thats a good looking 996. I want one too!:)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So 43000km not too much for a sbk? Should be plenty left eh! Tried the search function but doesn't seem to work on the iPhone.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
...yep I did that last night and received the answer. 2001 996S MON (which I guess is monoposta) Euro model so with the SPS 123 HP motor.
Monoposto... the word is monoposto. "Mono" for single, posto for "place", loosly translated it means "single seat". Sorry for the correction, but I'm Italian American and every time I see this its like fingernails down a chalk board.

BTW, I have a Euro 748R and my VIN also starts with ZDMH... The "Z" indicates that the country of origin is Italy, the "DM" indicates that this is a Ducati and the "H" indicates that this is a racing homologation model. Nice find... looks to be in superb shape as well.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
So 43000km not too much for a sbk? Should be plenty left eh! Tried the search function but doesn't seem to work on the iPhone.
I'm around 55 000 kms. Still works just fine. If it has been taken care of and not thrashed it should be good for a while yet.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Monoposto... the word is monoposto. "Mono" for single, posto for "place", loosly translated it means "single seat". Sorry for the correction, but I'm Italian American and every time I see this its like fingernails down a chalk board.

BTW, I have a Euro 748R and my VIN also starts with ZDMH... The "Z" indicates that the country of origin is Italy, the "DM" indicates that this is a Ducati and the "H" indicates that this is a racing homologation model. Nice find... looks to be in superb shape as well.
Maybe I was thinking about pasta! Haha fair call, I knew I had it wrong after posting.......................going to call the dealer that has serviced it as they have a very good reputation. Just need to ask about rocker checks.....

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Corse1 - you've already a bunch of experience with the 996 engine, so the drill should not be foreign to you. I seem to recall MarkST providing an example of a 916 with more than 100K miles on it, so I'm guessing that well-cared for superbikes can do the distance.

Ron

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Corse1 - you've already a bunch of experience with the 996 engine, so the drill should not be foreign to you. I seem to recall MarkST providing an example of a 916 with more than 100K miles on it, so I'm guessing that well-cared for superbikes can do the distance.

Ron
Yeah your right Ron, spoke the the service guy today. Has been chipped and power commander plus airbox altered (not sure how yet), lightened flywheel, cams dialed in, checked for flaking rockers and shimms done with new belts in July last year and 4000 miles put on since.
All adjustments made on the dyno.

The subject of exactfit belts came up......Never use them he reckoned. He has had three bikes break those belts with the resulting valve damage etc. Reckons when you cut through the belt you can see the difference in the strengthening weave when compared to OEM. Nice can of worms that one since I am a supporter of Chris's belts.

Anyhow after a ride today this thing has major power right off the bat at low rev's. It has the SPS motor being a Euro model. I couldn't believe how quiet the mechanical noise in the motor is even with an open clutch cover.

The clutch is 6000miles old being a Corse slipper clutch. It has a lot of bling thats for sure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
Nice find Corse,

How many Kiwi dollars for that beauty?

Craig

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice find Corse,

How many Kiwi dollars for that beauty?

Craig
$9995.00. Has a cracked speedo glass which they say they will fix. Local shop just did that on a 748...$500:eek:

So thats $7800 aussie bucks Craig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts