Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help just got a 2002 996s great bike apart fromt he engine splutter at about 5,500rpm when u r not flat out though the gears. I've been told its the cams? I've had 748 1098. never had this problem. I love using the low down grunt of the dukes. this bike would be per fect if not for this. please can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Tell us more about the bike. Modifications (exhaust, programming, PC3, etc)

Did you have the throttle bodies off ever? Could need TPS set and re-synced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not had the bike long got it from a small garage. the guy works on italian bike lots of ducatis. he told me that the s has different cams so it will be lompy under 3000. which is what i expected. took it out and he said it was normal because of the cams over 5,500 it perfect a stunning bike. it feels like someone has pulled out the choke. it has titanium terms and the chip has been changed. I have looked in to it and some are saying its the twin injectors. Hope this helps. Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TPS?..sorry not clever..
It also has the lighter flywheel.

Was going to take it to get it tuned but that was going to cast about £400,,,$600.

so not yet on that one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
hi mate, sounds like a problem i had with mine take her out for a spin and lean on the tank and push down hard when you wind it on if the problem goes away its the tank seal rubber not seating properly, took me a while to figure it out might help!!

regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Richard, Thanks for that i'll give it a try. If it ever stops raining! As I said apart from that it runs great. I'll let you know how I get no...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi... I have heard something about that. Not sure where i can get it done. Any idea?

I live near cambridge..Cheers

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
TPS= Throttle position sensor. Whenever the TBs are removed, they generally need resynced too.

What cams did he say he put in it? He put new cams in, but didn't tune it? I find that kind of odd.

If it feels like someone pulled the choke above that RPM, then you could have a weak pump, a bad map, bad injector, the list could go on.

Getting a single injector tune could potentially lessen the performance gained if you actually have hotter cams. It would run lean up top since the injectors are running at a high duty cycle and still can't provide enough fuel.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It might be cheaper if you tracked down a stock 996 chip and tossed in a PC3 and did your own tuning.

Dyno time is sooooooooooooooooo expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers...not sure what cams..just said race cams.
But I was under the impression that they were standard the the S,? Over 5,500 it runs perfect and under it's ok to its just as you go though that ranged, Give some more and its fine,:think:

You've gone to far for me now.....I can just get a meesage out on here..;-). i'll let you know how I get on..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts