Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the track yesterday in Dubai it was a pleasant 38c/100F on my 2001 996s with 54mm Termi and Termi/DP chip. I got out on the the 3rd lap giving it into a right hander then she shut down with the throttle 2/3rd open.
I restarted it and it would accelerate then back off then accelerate with the throttle held steady.
I spoke to another 996 owner who said he had similar problems a few years ago he said that he chucked his Termi/DP chip and replaced with the OEM chip and has had no recurrence of the problem.
Are these performance chips prone to throwing it in?
I recently converted the bike to monoposto but I am using the shorter biposto wiring harness so the ECU is mounted lower in the subframe. Would the closer proximity to the pipe heat create any problems?

It was a typical track day for Ducati owners yesterday with 2 of out the 4 Duc's in attendance U/S :eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Changed out the DP eprom chip today, it starts and idles better at operating temp 80c+ and no signs of the surging or cutting out. I will just have to take it out for a longer ride to verify that the eprom was the source of the problem???

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Hope that works, but seems odd that the heat would fry only the chip and the whole ECU around it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was having similar problems with my '01 996. I have a UltiMap and a Ferracci chip and it didn't mater which was in it. I spent hours with a multi meter and the schematics trying to trace down the problem. Through a combination of time, vibration and heat cycles, at least of the ground solders had managed to work its way loose on the board in my ECU. The fix was simple; pry the top off the ECU box and heat everything with a heat gun until the solder starts to melt. It looked like, from what I could see anyway, that the most obvious culprit would be the pins coming off the board going to the harness hook up, so that's where I focused the heat. If you do attempt this just remember to keep the heat gun moving and not hold it in one place continuously. Windshield adhesive does a great job for re-sealing the cover back on the case. Something else I've done since just to ensure I'm getting the best possible connection is to clean the harness plugs with electrical parts cleaner. So far I haven't had any other issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Oh, and just to be on the safe side I did remove the chip prior to hitting it with the heat gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts