Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 996RS fuel tank for my bike but I need to know if it's compatible with a 998RS airbox before continuing.

Do any of you know if these two parts fit together?

Thanks!

molasses

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sten,

which model year and if you know the model year, which type of 996 RS fuel tank? I hear there have been 4 different 1998 fuel tanks during that season alone.

Some have the fuel lines at the side like mine does, others have them in the middle... depends on which fuel tank you´re looking at.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi as ben said, there are 2 different styles of tank with bens tank as with mine the fuel inlets are on the rh side of the tank these tanks are for the older 916/996 style of motor with the injectors on the underside of the airbox, the tanks with the inlets in the center are for the 998 style of injectors that are inside the airbox, please correct me if i am wrong hear! not sure if the newer tank will work with the older style injector setup will work,

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sten, me again, can´t find sleep :sleep::think:

Here are 5 pics to help you out. My RS tank needs a cut out in the airbox (748R airbox upper depicted). The original desmoquattro 916R airbox has a hole moulded in there.

Hope these help.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Its such a small world, I love this place. Here is the actual Sten is thinking of buying from me , maybe with these pics the brains on the board maybe able to assist in helping solve, if it will work on his bike or not. I have sat a standard street version air box on the tank to see if this helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you ask me, the front mounting spots look more like the 998RS units, with the small pins... But then I could be wrong. Will have a look at the RS manual.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sorry mate, I stand corrected.

The 998 RS has the mounting hardware in the front.

Yours appears to be a 2000 996 RS unit, could that be?

For reference, this is what I have. 916R 1998

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, your input is greatly appreciated!

Like Bikenigma points out, I'm trying to figure out if I can mix and match a 998RS airbox with the fuel tank shown in his post.

The way I see it, there are at least 3 things that might turn out to be problematic:

1. The 998RS forward fuel tank attaching mechanism uses brackets that go into loops on the frame as shown in one of Ben's drawings and I worry that the loops on the frame might interfere with the release mechanism on the 996RS fuel tank or prevent the fuel tank from mounting to the airbox altogether.

2. Do any of you know if the 998RS and 996RS fuel tanks are identical in shape? Because if the the bottom halves are shaped differently the 996RS fuel tank may not match the mating surfaces of the 998RS airbox.

3. The rear portion of the 996RS fuel tank has a protrusion at the bottom and I'm wondering if that protrusion might touch the top of the vertical header of my engine.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
1. get the whole assy. Don´t try to attach 998RS mounting hardware to the 6RS tank. If you buy it, use the 6RS´ mounts.

2. I will send an email to my mate. Maybe he finds the time to take a pic for me. From what I would think, actually the Desmo4 airboxes are quite similar to the 8R airboxes. The only difference being the throttle body openings. You can actually mount a Testastretta airbox onto a Desmoquattro bike. But then my friend, this is RS stuff and you know how these things are...

3. I doubt it. The Testastretta is not bigger than the Desmo4 engine. Correct me if I am wrong. The cylinder heads are narrower, right. Haven´t heard about them being taller in any way.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ahhhh Sten it just dawned on me!

Check out my mate Joerg´s build, he is the guy with the 1098R engine in a 998 chassis. He ran a 98 916R fuel tank on a testastretta engine and now on a testastretta evo engine.

You might have to register to see some of the pictures. Here´s the airbox he built (used to be an EVR testastretta box with now modified bottom):

http://www.powerwheelie.de/forum/showthread.php?t=771&page=5

Maybe these help as well:

I would guess the bump on the lower side of bikeengma´s 2000 RS fuel tank will accomodate the space that the tilted vertical cylinderhead leaves.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great help, Ben! Thanks again!

I agree with your suggestion to use the 996RS mounting hardware but that still gives me no guarantee the loops on my 998RS won't interfere with the latch mechanism on the 996RS tank and I'm reluctant when it comes to modifying or removing the frame loops.

If there is a conflict I'd rather get the 998RS fuel tank setup but right now I don't know whether this represents a problem or not...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Why are you bothering with the 996RS setup anyway? You have the 998RS frame, why force the 6RS tank onto it?

If you need a 998RS fuel tank, call Rolf Hadeler at Ducati Rosengarten. Nice guy, definitely not the cheapest but has a good image over here. They run 3 998RS in Sound of Thunder and should have knowledge and spare parts en masse. Probably even a spare 998RS fuel tank.

http://www.hadeler-rosengarten.de/

If you need help, I can give him a ring. Just lmk.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Valid point, Ben!

It's just that you don't often get a complete setup like this (pump, hoses, tank etc) but then again it's not going to help me much if it turns out it doesn't fit my frame...
Why are you bothering with the 996RS setup anyway? You have the 998RS frame, why force the 6RS tank onto it?

If you need a 998RS fuel tank, call Rolf Hadeler at Ducati Rosengarten. Nice guy, definitely not the cheapest but has a good image over here. They run 3 998RS in Sound of Thunder and should have knowledge and spare parts en masse. Probably even a spare 998RS fuel tank.

http://www.hadeler-rosengarten.de/

If you need help, I can give him a ring. Just lmk.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
True, but only partly true I´d say.

There´s not much on a Corse fuel tank that you need from the factory.

I bought one from a nice guy on this forum. It was just the bare tank. So I went and sourced a gas cap and a stock fuel pump. Christian at First Attack in Germany is taking care about the inside mountings. There´s just a holding plate on the inside and some fuel lines as well as the pressure regulator. You can use the stock PR, 3 bar should be plenty of pressure and the stock pressure regulator can handle that. That´s at least what I heard from the tuner.

So, if you ask me, get yourself the tank and the gas cap. If you can get the mounting hardware, good! If not, drop me a line and I will call my mate in order to snag a set off him to get it replicated on a CNC. He has one of these on his 998R. I am doing the same for a few people here - including me -, but replicating 916R 1998 mounting hardware.

As for the innards, do as I do. Get a stock fuel pump and the other parts like hoses, PR, etc, and get someone to properly mount it inside. If you can´t find anyone, email Christian at [email protected] and ask him to do it for you. I am sure he´d be glad to do the work for you.

The Bosch unit that Corse uses is extremely expensive. It costs way above 300 Euros iirc from Bosch. At Ducati Corse, it´s - take a guess - sold out. At least if it´s the same they used in the 916R 1998.

P.S.: how about this lovely unit? Just got to repaint it with appears like heresy... but oh well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...torcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1119

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey dude, no offense, i knew it was your tank on ebay but I didn' t catch it being the same item which you showed in this thread. Actually you just posted pix from the bottom here. And it looked somewhat red on the pix here. I thought you might have two of these lovely items.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts