Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
interesting find. the answer to your question lies in what the ending bid will be. something like $10,000 i would think is a great deal on that bike in that condition, but an ending bid of $20,000, not so much.

·
Registered
857 Posts
from the description: "A radically new (for its time) motorcycle, named “Testa Stretta,” or narrow head"

I thought the 996 had desmoquattro, did the R version get a testastretta?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
996r

the 996r was a testastretta engine, but a unique bore and stoke to only that year bike. Very collectible, but not so good for racing etc. The 998r has the same bore and stroke as the 999r and internals are much more readily available.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I think their were only 350 of them made world wide(?)....sold out over the internet in 8 hours!!!
Somebody will snipe it at the end for 13-15 grand....WOW that is some Ducati!

·
Registered
572 Posts
The seller seems to be clean. Have in mind the bids will grow in the last hours.
I expect to see this bike sold for 15000 dollars, at least. Even at this price, would be a good deal.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think their were only 350 of them made world wide(?)....sold out over the internet in 8 hours!!!
Somebody will snipe it at the end for 13-15 grand....WOW that is some Ducati!
There had been 350 or 500 numbered bikes, then they had been a second batch of bikes not numbered.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That 996R should fetch AT LEAST $15k . . . $10k would be a steal. $10k for a very nice 998 is reasonable.

It's a very nice unmolested example, and a definitely a collectible. ---I'd like to put it in my livingroom!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did anyone notice that is says "desmoquattro" on the fairing? I know some of the 996R's were Testastrettas, but weren't the early ones Desmoquattros?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Did anyone notice that is says "desmoquattro" on the fairing? I know some of the 996R's were Testastrettas, but weren't the early ones Desmoquattros?
Good catch!!!
As far as I know, the 996R was the first to feature the Testastretta engine, and only the Testastretta engine with no Desmos, as referenced in Ian Falloon's book of the 916 series.
Whoever is interested in the Ebay "996R" ought to do some research. . .at least have the seller take some shots with the fairings off.
Again, good catch nottaracer! Desmoquattro 996R?!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I remember the Falloon book right (at work and not in front of me), the 996R was stickered like a regular 996 which was a desmo, not testa. Similar to my bike which stickers as a 916SPS but is really a 996 motor.

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
The horizontal head isn't peaking out of the radiator fairing. That's typical of the Testas, right?

Freakin' awesome listing regardless.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If I remember the Falloon book right (at work and not in front of me), the 996R was stickered like a regular 996 which was a desmo, not testa. Similar to my bike which stickers as a 916SPS but is really a 996 motor.
Confirmed. . . you're correct. And as tonered said, the head isn't peeking thru the v-fairing as Desmos would.

500 worldwide . . . 350 immediately sold on the internet. Yes, a highly collectible classic.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
There had been 350 or 500 numbered bikes, then they had been a second batch of bikes not numbered.
That's is something that is not commonly known for sure.....even though it's the numbered ones that will do the best, unless there is a special alpha digit(vin)designation for these bikes. It is highly unlikely that Ducati wouldn't designate them special somehow-otherwise it could be mickey moused.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The desmoquattro sticker caught my eye too. Checked on the net, the few good pics of these 996R show "desmoquattro" too. I didn't remember that, i thought it was testastretta written instead.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Where the original stickers carbon fiber look a likes?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts