Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 996R with full system Ti Arrow exhaust with race ecu. DP cf airbox, DP cf Air scoops, BMC Air Filters I also have a brand new Power Commander III USB but I am hesitant to install for 2 reasons. 1) Bike is running well as is. 2) Power Commander III indicates is for 98-01 996. No indication on box for R version of the 996. Can I install this or do I need a 998 Power Commander for my 996R?

For the PC gurus. Here are the markings on the box of the PCIII:
PCIIIUSB, 98-01,996
part no. 1020-0040.
VN-P#705-411
U of M: EA

I don't know what the above means. I hope you guys can help. I would hate to see this thing just sit on my shelf.

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
The 996 and 996R/998 have 2 completly diffrent engines, engine managment systems and throttlebodies.

If your PC3 has only one lead/wire with 2 round connectors on the end, it will not even fit on your bike. The correct 998 ECU has 5 or 6 wires that you need to connect. a PITA to install really.

//amullo

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Personally, I would leave the bike status quo, you said its running good. Even with good intentions, things get messed up and its the old can of worms scenario. Will a PC give you a noticible boost, will you even detect it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 996 and 996R/998 have 2 completly diffrent engines, engine managment systems and throttlebodies.

If your PC3 has only one lead/wire with 2 round connectors on the end, it will not even fit on your bike. The correct 998 ECU has 5 or 6 wires that you need to connect. a PITA to install really.

//amullo
I figured as much. What I did not know what the thing about the lead/wire as I have not opened the box of the PCIII. Guess I will have to sell this.... :(

·
Banned
344 Posts
Stay away from the Power Commander. You don't see Corse bikes with PC3s on them.

·
Banned
344 Posts
My 998R had a PC3 on it when I bought it for some stupid reason and it fried my RS ECU. The guys at the shop were like :think: WTF?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts