Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ducati 996 wont rev past 7k. It was running great for the past two weeks and suddenly it just won't rev past 7. I have no idea why it would suddenly go out and why only past 7k. Does anyone have any ideas? It runs great when it is just idling.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the usual problem? What about coils and the rest of the ignition system? Someone had told me that the 996 is famous for eating coils...

·
Registered
218 Posts
He has given you the most likely and inexpensive place to start.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same problem with my GT1000 2years ago except my limit was 4500 rpm. Turned out it was dirty injectors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've used seafoam on my landrover, I would not put it in my Ducati.

"fix" the fuel filter by taking the tank off, flipping it upside down, remove screws, slide pump assembly out, remove and replace filter (use the NAPA part) replace big green O ring, stagger screw replacement as you reseat fuel pump assembly. Replace tank, thank Shazaam, then ride.

Nothing to it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok that green o ring seems bigger than it should be. are the new ones like this or is my old one just stretched out?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an extra ring lying around thank god. I got everything in and it definitely runs a lot better. It has just the slightest of fumbles at 8k but it last just for a split second and then its gone. I am going to change plugs soon and maybe coils and I will report back after that!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had an extra ring lying around thank god. I got everything in and it definitely runs a lot better. It has just the slightest of fumbles at 8k but it last just for a split second and then its gone. I am going to change plugs soon and maybe coils and I will report back after that!
Good to hear, enjoy the riding.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you go into the tank, check the condition of the internal fuel lines. These degrade over time even though they are designed to be submersed in gasoline. They will look fine, but on close inspection you will see bits of black rubber easily coming off of them. They can gum up a fuel filter almost instantly. Just changing the filter is a temporary fix if the lines are going bad. I bought the Gates lines ($30/each for 1 ft sections, need 2).

It is also a bad idea to continue to run with the clogged filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts