Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’ll try to make this as clear as possible because a lot has happened recently.

Bought this bike a month ago. Ran fine but soon started dying after riding it for a while. Also complained about losing power at 5-6k rpm. It would be fine riding it until I turn it off then the battery would be almost dead. Tested the rectifier and its connectors and they were fine. The battery would be around 13.5V at 4k rpm so it seemed to be charging fine. So I ended up getting a new battery.

As soon as I got the new battery I noticed the clear fuel connector on the tank was broken. Ordered the metal set online and replaced the male connector (will replace them all this weekend but that was the only broken one). Now it doesn’t leak fuel anymore. But it won’t start. It cranks and primes fuel and clicks like it’s going to start and even one cylinder sounds like it’s about to go.

The last time I rode it it was running on one cylinder for about 5 miles because the old battery was dead and would barely start it up. Haven’t gotten it to start since.

Also, the turn signals flash slow once and really fast after that. I did a test on the battery to see if anything was draining it and it only tested at .7mA so that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

I have an led fender eliminator installed, but I’m pretty sure the lights blink fast even without it.

I’d hate to jump it with a car again but when I got stuck on the side of the road and jumped it with a non-running car that was the best it’s ever run. (No it didn’t fry the rectifier because I checked it after that).

Possibly spark plugs flooded from trying to start it so much? They had plenty of time to dry, unless there was permanent damage.

The quick-flashing turn signals trips me up because I could see that causing a drain on the battery/charging system whatever it is causing that.

Sorry for the information overload. I love this bike and it’s character but if I can never ride it then I’m going back to a BMW or a jap bike haha. 200 miles in one month is unheard of for me. Thanks all!

·
Registered
233 Posts
It cranks and primes fuel and clicks like it’s going to start and even one cylinder sounds like it’s about to go.[/QUOTE said:
Possible faulty CPS (crank position sensor) or ignition coil(s), mine is having simmilar symptoms. I'm currently awaiting a set of diagnostics cables from: LonElec. So that I can run some test and confirm the fault before I start changing out sensors Willy-nilly :wink2:

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-3pin-Interface-Cable

It requires the JPdiag sorftware or simmilar software to use the cables.

Check my post in the Monster section. https://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monster/723725-monster-s4rs-misfires-cut-out-stalls.html

Hope this points you in the right direction

L8TR
Pete

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well it kinda started for one second this morning. I woke up to find that someone unplugged my battery tender. But I also read that lead acid batteries need a special charger and don’t just charge from a tender? Idk but so far I haven’t gotten it to start even once with this new battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok check this out. I have the EPFROM mod so only one injector is hooked up per cylinder. Now I just hooked up all four injectors and she started and ran for a solid few seconds and then bogged down. I’m thinking fuel is the issue now because the battery started it up fine like this.

Clogged injector from working with the tank connectors? I’ll try to unplug the front and rear injector and only hook up the two that I wasn’t using before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, hooked up the opposite injectors as before and it’s doing the same thing. Bike will start and run perfect for 2-3 seconds and then die. If I try to give it throttle it will slightly increase then die.

·
Registered
791 Posts
no fuel?

smart to jump with the car off.had the bat load tested?check charging alt. plugs for shorting & try swapping the f.i. relay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve checked the plugs but I can test the battery this weekend. Probably just fried it because I tried to jump it from my car to see if the battery is the problem and sparks went flying and overheated the cables and I think it melted the terminal too. They weren’t on backwards but I don’t think I hooked it up in the right order.

Well when I eventually got it hooked up the bike wouldn’t even start. There is a spinning noise after trying to start, is that possibly the starter gear?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts