Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a surprise today when I was having my fuel injection tuned and it was found my regulator only had two yellow wires instead of three.

It is s 2001. Did anyone else come across such a thing?

MCC is the dealer I bought it from when new and that did the initial services. It was either delivered this way or someone made the switch while it was in for service.

It explains why my girl has had to live on the trickle charger.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Presumably it has the three-phase alternator and someone has replaced the RR with the old version?

Otherwise, maybe it's a 916....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Some 996 are that way. Some of them have 10mm engine mount bolts (instead of the 12mm they should have).

They are kind of factory hybrids.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me it comes off like factory mistakes. Installing a 2 phase regulator on a 3 phase alternator means poor quality control. Having extra parts and just throwing them on something just not to waste it.

The term hybrid to me carries a positive connotation.

I bought the bike brand new and since I didn't change it the only people that had their hands on it was MCC, both before and during my ownership.

I would think it is a factory mistake.

Hmm? What other mistakes did they make? Are my forks really nitrided or did they have to use up others?

The Italian girls can be difficult enough without factory incompetence.

Thanks for your time asengenc but I'm not sure it really helped. Travis should love this. I bet when he hooks this baby up his eyes pop out from the readings.

I still find it funny RSVMillenian says he has an Italian bike yet the engine is made in Austria.

Hope you're all riding.

Cheers!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Giving the fact two wires alternators (270W) are very different than 3 wires alternators (380W), i tend to say your bike has at least left engine cover from a 916.

Could you post pics of your engine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts