Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, looking for a bit of knowledge on a 996 that I’m considering buying. Bit scrappy with a lot of non genuine parts but reasonably priced for what it is. When looking a photos I noticed the location of the VIN number (see photo) is this normal?? Seems strange to me!!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
I am no expert but that doesnt seem right to me. Isnt the VIN stamped on the headstock? As far as i know, Ducati also only used stickers on their frames for the various DOT and emissions labels. I have yet to see one with a riveted plate. Back in the day, I had a "friend" who created a similar looking plate in order to try and register a grey market bike at the DMV. @JContheGC have you tried contacting Ducati to verify the VIN?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've never seen a factory riveted plate like that. Is there a VIN on the headstock?

·
Registered
99' 996
659 Posts
You are in NZ correct, and assuming the bike is as well? Keep in mind guys different countries have different requirements. In the US its almost always a sticker on the left hand side of the bike. But that wont always be the case around the world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, I got one in the same place.
Thanks Guys, appreciate the response, I'm actually in Oz and looks like @belter & @Grumbly have VIN in same place. Must be an Aussie thing. I did do a VIN check and it came up good (not a Japanese import and also a 996S), also sent the VIN and engine number to Ducati to check. Like i said bike has a lot of non standard bits ie, carbon fairings, aftermarket blinkers and rearsets, no sign of a crash on the frame or steering stop but I suspect a low speed get off?!. Service history is a bit sketchy, had belts and valves at last service but not a whole lot of info before that.

My idea is to strip it and rebuilt it back to something close to original. Obviously all dependent on getting it for the right price. Had no real experience with Ducati's before so just trying to find out as much as possible before I commit. Thanks again for the comments.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
it's an australian compliance plate, and that is a typical location for it on the 996. the usa vin does also generally not apply to our models, which had unique and then euro style vin.

easiest way to confirm it's a real s model would be to check the eprom or the horizontal exhaust cam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's an australian compliance plate, and that is a typical location for it on the 996. the usa vin does also generally not apply to our models, which had unique and then euro style vin.

easiest way to confirm it's a real s model would be to check the eprom or the horizontal exhaust cam.
thanks mate.... treat me like an idiot but how do you check the eprom or the horizontal exhaust cam ?? and what am I looking for?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts