Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else tracked a 996 and 1098 and feel that they're faster on the 996?

I'm currently tracking a 1098 with all of the suspension set up, last season I tracked a 996 also has all of the suspension set up and I notice that I'm a lot faster on that bike.

I don't know whether I'm afraid of the 1098 power or I'm just more comfortable on the 996. It did has about 130 RWHP. I'm thinking about making the switch back and build another 996 or better a 998.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
mate i have a 996 sps and mates with 1098's

my bike makes more everything upto 7,000 rpm (or there abouts) (stack more off idle too) the 1098 really stomps on from 7500 rpm..and at 10,000 rpm (which i dont even rev too is making 150+ to my 121 hp..so i feel that unleess you have the skill to ride in that power band 6-10,500 rpm no better bike is needed (not saying you dont) just some things i noticed, as i can pass my friends under brakes..and outa turns...but sometimes they get me at the end of the straight

as i run outa puff at 265-270 kmph..they are still pulling like fark!!

hell there is a guy on a sport classic w/ 86hp.......that is 10 seconds a lap faster than all of us! so i really comes down to how balls-y you are on the gas and power in and outa the turns....

·
Registered
469 Posts
mate i have a 996 sps and mates with 1098's

my bike makes more everything upto 7,000 rpm (or there abouts) (stack more off idle too) the 1098 really stomps on from 7500 rpm..and at 10,000 rpm (which i dont even rev too is making 150+ to my 121 hp..so i feel that unleess you have the skill to ride in that power band 6-10,500 rpm no better bike is needed (not saying you dont) just some things i noticed, as i can pass my friends under brakes..and outa turns...but sometimes they get me at the end of the straight

as i run outa puff at 265-270 kmph..they are still pulling like fark!!

hell there is a guy on a sport classic w/ 86hp.......that is 10 seconds a lap faster than all of us! so i really comes down to how balls-y you are on the gas and power in and outa the turns....
It is a red Sport 1000s ? ;-)

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do power out of the corner much harder on the 996 and carry more corner speed. The reach on the 1098 is much longer I'm just not as comfortable on it.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah red ncr pipes Simmo rides it and cam Donald rode it too bloody awesome to watch my mate Steve owns it , prob 15 seconds a lap faster than me come to think of it .

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've had/done both. Assuming apples to apples as far as suspension setup is concerned the 1098 is easier to ride quickly. At anything less then 9.5/10s you don't notice to much differant other than HP. My old 996RS with longer swingarm and offset triples felt remarketable like my 1098S with 30mm offset triples. Just not as plush and composed on the limit.A stock chassis 996 doesn't compare. Its short swingarm and stock tripletree would tie itself in knots with 150HP AND USING IT. Comparing the bikes with differant riders at the track is a moot point.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had/done both. Assuming apples to apples as far as suspension setup is concerned the 1098 is easier to ride quickly. At anything less then 9.5/10s you don't notice to much differant other than HP. My old 996RS with longer swingarm and offset triples felt remarketable like my 1098S with 30mm offset triples. Just not as plush and composed on the limit.A stock chassis 996 doesn't compare. Its short swingarm and stock tripletree would tie itself in knots with 150HP AND USING IT. Comparing the bikes with differant riders at the track is a moot point.
The 996 did have the longer mag swingarm, 30MM triple, Ohlins and Penski. I've been riding this body style since 2000.

The 1098 it is only a last part of last season and this season. Same suspension set up as the 996.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
. Comparing the bikes with differant riders at the track is a moot point.
i understand that, was just meaning that HP or suspension really only matters once you are brilliant ....any stock bike with a brilliant rider is fast at any curcuit..

·
Registered
279 Posts
it's an interesting thing and to me it's all a comfort/mental thing.

as you say you've been riding tamburini type duc superbikes for 12 years on the track. over that time you've grown comfortable with the bike and how it behaves to a point you are happy to push it pretty hard.

on the 1098 you're still feeling it out and don't have that experience bank to draw from when something goes wrong, hence you're probably still a bit cautious on it.

I can understand though when one particular set-up just suits someone better.

I can relate it to cars. i've been driving various cars on the track for about 11 years. mostly japanese cars and some euros. i love my nissans and have owned every model GTR from R32 to R35. I've had some quick ones but most of all I felt comfortable in the older model R32 than the later R33 and R34 despite them being similar cars (and the R33 and R34 from factory have stiffer chassis, better awd computer etc). so in 2 similar set-up cars I'm quicker in the R32 as it seems to suit me.

if you're happier on the 996 type bike sell the 1098 and get one again. as you well know there' still heaps of good gear for 996's like mag swingers etc so there's no reason you can't build an awesome one again. :)

or chuck on a long mag arm, offset triples, 1098 forks and brake set-up and stuff in a 1098 donk to power it all. :) best of both worlds perhaps?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts