Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm considering doing a front end swap on my 996 to a set from a 1098. I realize I'll have to use 848 wheels and rotors etc and that I can't use the speedo drive that currently is on the bike.
With that in mind I'm considering using a new Gauge/dash from Koso. It comes with a receiver/magnet to drive the speedo so that will solve that problem but I'm concerned with all the additional functions of the dash. The temp sensor and tach shouldn't be an issue but what about the low fuel warning light? The model I'm considering (RX-2) comes with a bar graph for fuel level. Is there any way to make that work on my 996? I'm wondering if replacing the fuel pump with one from an ST series may work as they have fuel gauges. Is that where the sender is located on the ST's or is it seperate? Anyone have any input?

Thanks,
'Mash

·
Registered
406 Posts
Check out yellowducking's 996 build for a low fuel indicator on the Koso, post #74. I don't think there is a way to make the Koso's fuel gauge work on the early Ducs:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=632180&highlight=koso#post632180

And, I've seen a 848/1098 fork conversion on a 916 series somewhere in this forum. Do a search.

Hey guys,

I'm considering doing a front end swap on my 996 to a set from a 1098. I realize I'll have to use 848 wheels and rotors etc and that I can't use the speedo drive that currently is on the bike.
With that in mind I'm considering using a new Gauge/dash from Koso. It comes with a receiver/magnet to drive the speedo so that will solve that problem but I'm concerned with all the additional functions of the dash. The temp sensor and tach shouldn't be an issue but what about the low fuel warning light? The model I'm considering (RX-2) comes with a bar graph for fuel level. Is there any way to make that work on my 996? I'm wondering if replacing the fuel pump with one from an ST series may work as they have fuel gauges. Is that where the sender is located on the ST's or is it seperate? Anyone have any input?

Thanks,
'Mash

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out yellowducking's 996 build for a low fuel indicator on the Koso, post #74. I don't think there is a way to make the Koso's fuel gauge work on the early Ducs:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?p=632180&highlight=koso#post632180

And, I've seen a 848/1098 fork conversion on a 916 series somewhere in this forum. Do a search.
Thank man. I may use that idea about using the check engine light for the low fuel indicator.

I'm still wondering if one of the other fuel pumps with the fuel level indicator will work on my 996. I'm thinking maybe from an ST. Does anyone know if the ST fuel pump will fit my 996?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so here's what I found out regarding the swap to the 1098 forks.....

Contrary to what I''ve heard, the axle sizes are the same. They are both 25mm but the 1098 axle uses a different kind of spacer than the 996 axle but it's really no big deal as they wont be used in the swap.

I bolted up my 996 wheel right to the front end of my friend's 848 and I found that by using the 996 speedo drive only a small spacer needs to be fabbed up on the other side of the wheel, along with either a set of rotors from a 998R (15mm offset) or a 5mm spacer between the rotors and the hub.

Here is a pic of the left side with the speedo drive installed.

Here is a pic of the right side. You can see how the spacer that is built into the 1098 axle is not long enough to hold the wheel in place. All thats needed is a spacer to be fabbed up and it's set to go. I think I may also machine the axle to remove the taper so the spacer will sit flush against the axle.

I was surprised that the swap looks this simple. I'm going to give it a shot over the winter and see what happens.

·
Registered
431 Posts
from me personal experience DO NOT BUY A KOSO gauge
I had one it was rubbish buy a motogadget or something of higher quality
After sales service is non existant cheap shit!!!
I wont go fully into it but if u want more send me a pm
cheers

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I started the fork swap. Some of the parts are here and I should be getting the remainder in the first part of the week.

I'll post up some more pics once it's all complete.

1098 forks-Brand new, were removed at the dealer for a set of Ohlins. Courtesy of Viper1.

Monoblock calipers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts