Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got an issue with my 996 I was hoping someone might be able to help me out.

The throttle is binding throughout action. When I pull on the throttle I can feel resistance and when letting the throttle go, it doesn't return automatically to idle. I've followed the cable and can't find any binding anywhere. I removed the grip to see if the rubber was binding anywhere and nothing. I'd like to solve this issue myself and avoid the hour long ride out to the dealer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
797 Posts
If this is a new acqusition?
Maybe the previous owner installed new handlebars? Or it just had major service?

If so while it may be a pain, remove the tank, and look at the routing, make sure that they are not twisted anywhere all the way up to the triples, they should run side my side all the way to the throttle. Check the friction within the throttle tube Vs. the handlebar, possibly there?

After owning a few different 748/996's I've never had this problem.....

Good luck
M

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had this once, but it was just a wire harness scrubbing on the linkage attached to the throttle bodies.Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep this is a newly acquired future track bike if I can fix this throttle problem

I removed the throttle cable from the throttle assembly and there is definitely tension on the part of the cable, so no issue there.

Twisting the throttle without the cable attached definitely has signs of friction. I can't figure out what the deal is, but it feels like the plastic throttle assembly is rubbing straight against the clip-ons. The action is not smooth at all. Do I need a new throttle assembly?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pop the tank off/over and disconnect the cable end from the throttle intakes. THis will let you know if the probelm is in the cable or past it. May just be the cable needs some lubricant if the cable itself is sticking.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had a same problem which costed me several tries before I found it:

One of the tiny strings of the inner cable was broken.
This was not visable if there was no load on the cable.
However, if loaded, that small string stood out a bit and catched the outer cable, creating the friction. I replaced the inner cable and the problem solved.

Worth to check.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I took everything apart.

There is no friction with the cable itself. The throttle tube seems to have some serious friction against the stock clip ons. I can't figure out what the cause of the friction is, but the throttle tube does not spin freely against the clip ons. I've identified the issue, but I'm not sure as to what needs to be done. Graphite for lubricant? New clip ons? New throttle tube?

I'd rather avoid the dealer but it seems that may be my only option at this point.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The throttle tube seems to have some serious friction against the stock clip ons.
Do you have aftermarket bar ends? I have some Cyclecat bar ends that when I first fitted them the throttle got tight as they sit flush to the end of the bar. I had to trim a small amount of plastic from the end of the throttle tube as it protruded very slightly from the end of the bar - the original bar ends just stick out the tube without touching the end of it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i had the same problem with mine, sanded and polished the clipon where the thottle runs, then lots of graphite on the bar, cleaned the inside of the housing and put some water proof grease in there. runs fine now

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had the same problem with mine, sanded and polished the clipon where the thottle runs, then lots of graphite on the bar, cleaned the inside of the housing and put some water proof grease in there. runs fine now
This sounds like what I need to do. I cleaned out the throttle tube with simple green and a few other soaps to remove any gunk that might be hiding and it started turning a bit easier, but nowhere near where I think it needs to be. I'm guessing I need graphite on the bar.

Is it a bad idea to put lube on the cam where it makes contact with the throttle cable?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i sanded where the throttle contacts the bar up to 1600 wet and dry then polished with abrasive past and then that cotton stuff and then lots of graphite.

and yes lube everywhere the cable contacts and everywhere the throttle contacts the housing with grease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts