Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why is this happening???
Adjusted the valves, put on new belts.... Buttoned everything up like normal.
Hit the starter button, it turns over twice and lights right off...sounds perfectly normal.
I adjusted the CO levels to make sure they were still at 5%. Everything is wonderful. Beautiful idle, revs up. All is good.

Go out today and hit the starter button and it turns over about 1-1/2 times and stops....same thing the second time. Sounds like it is trying to start a motor with 18:1 compression. Battery has 13.5 volts. What the heck??????

The day before if you breathed on the starter button it would light right off....... Any thoughts. I hate this stupid stuff. It's like I put fresh air in the tires and now it won't start.... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue. Likely to the starter. Maybe to the cases.

You may have good voltage at rest, but do they dip below 11 when cranking.

Overall, though, sounds like a battery or electrical item. See if it starts after jumping from a car battery. (Car off. Not while running) Or give it a good push start and see if it turn over.

Also, if you used the old starter, which likely has worn brushes in it, there is a chance (maybe look here is something obvious does not materialize) that they finally failed after the install in the new engine.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I have read elsewhere that if they dip below 10 during cranking, then it may not be putting out enough voltage under load. Namor’s suggestion regarding checking the ground is a great idea, too.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE..... maybe this will help
I pulled the plugs..just because. Key OFF, I ran a jumper from the positive lead on the bikes battery to the starter motor. It spun over just like normal..... So...
Put the plugs back in, turned the key ON, used the jumper and it did the rrrrrr, stop, rrrrrr, stop BUT the jumper started to glow red...STOPPED THAT.

Key OFF, with jumper it spins over normal...... Key ON, with jumper and it's ugly........

Really frustrating cause yesterday it started perfectly, just like normal.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Just my not-an-engineer opinion, but I don’t think it takes much to spin the motor without compression (plugs out). Is the battery cable going to the starter a high capacity one? Is there any corrosion underneath the rubber boot at the starter connection?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Micah.Berry
I tried it with the plugs out using the key on, starter button like normal and it did the same thing...rrrrr stop, rrrrrr stop....
So plugs in, plugs out.... same result, rrrr stop, rrrr stop....

It "appears and acts" like it's getting a little shot of current to the starter resulting in the rrrrr stop, rrrr stop, but not spinning it over continuously.

NOW WITH THE KEY OFF AND A JUMPER THE STARTER MOTOR WONT TURN OVER...

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Ah! Thanks for clarifying that for me.

So current has to travel through:
1. Wires (assuming they are proper, given no issues prior)
2. Starter solenoid
3. 30 amp fuse
4. Ignition switch
5. Starter button contact (with kill switch)

I know on another motorcycle, I had to clean the starter button contact as it got corroded. And my wife’s Monster has a corroded kill switch, which I have the part for, I just need to swap out. Your 30 amp fuse should be fine. Your starter solenoid could be iffy as well. Might want to check that part out.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered a new starter solenoid, because I am electrically retarded ( pretty good mechanically), so I start replacing electrical parts. I really don't want to replace the starter motor, but will be next.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, never mind....I'm an idiot.
I had a side stand over ride device that lets you start the bike with the side stand down..... Somewhere along the line it got partially disconnected...

I plugged it all the way in and everything works as it should. It was partially hidden and I missed it. Good lesson to check and re-check before running off the deep end. Thanks for every ones input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts