Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with starting my 996.

All was well until the other evening. Went to start her up, can hear the fuel pump activating, but nothing when clicking the Start button.

The starter solenoid does not click. Removed it and wired the coil directly to the battery, clicks in and out just fine. Conclusion - Solenoid OK.

Battery changed for a known good one - no change - problem is the same.

There is no Side Stand switch to check.

From following the wiring diagram (as well as i can, anyway)

When the starter solenoid is connected back up and the Start button is pressed, the fuel pump re-starts each time I press the Start button. ?!?

If I measure the back of the connector with no starter solenoid fitted, I see 12v when I press the Start button, but when the solenoid is re-connected, it only measures 1.78v when I press the start button. Weird !

Any advise PLEASE ? I am booked to go to the Manx GP on the Isle of Man next week ! Eeeeek. :think:

B.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

With the kill switch in the 'kill' position, the fuel pump did not energise etc., so assumed it is working ok. With it in the 'go' position the fuel pump sounds etc.

All fuses look OK.

B.

·
Registered
803 Posts
check the battery connections, the negative lead at the engine casing, behind the rear brake fluid reservoir.

/edit: what is the battery voltage accross the battery terminals when pressing the starter button? does it drop to under 10V? that's not a good sign..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, battery leads look ok. lights etc. work, no noticable dip in voltage (11.98v) on battery when start button is pressed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 996 did the same thing,and it was the fuel relay under the seat.
To see which one it is just hold one by one in our hand and switch on the ignition,it will make a click sound and u will feel it.If u dont feel the click then u know the relay is dead.

Pls let me know if it was it or not.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
RE: previous: The "fuel" relay energizes the FI pump and the coils. He says he can hear the pump, so my guess is that this relay is good.

OP: WHAT YEAR is the 996?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've had bad starter solenoid issues - intermittent - so just because you tested your solenoid and it worked doesn't mean it works every time. Do what was suggested already and jump across the solenoid terminals with a large insulated screw driver or such and see if it turns over. If so the solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
352 Posts
dose the engine turn freely?

have you checked the small terminal that plugs into the back of the solinoid?

could be the starter motor!

could be the starter gear!

could be the starter clutch! + that fucked the starter motor!

could be anything!

i would do the crossing the terminals test on the solinoid first if it turn its electrical, if not, mecanical.

if the latter is the case the engine case must be removed to look further into the problem, if its the starter motor you have to remove the engine case to get it off anyway! if the starter motor is fucked look at the starter clutch, if this fails your engine spins the starter motor at about 8000 rpm or more if you rev it a bit! ( they tend to not last very long at this rpm)

i hope this gives you somthing to go at!!:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed !!!

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to let you all know - it was the Ignition Relay !

Thanks for all your help. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am having what sounds to be the same issue. Everything checks out fine, but when I hit the ignition all I hear is the solenoid clicking.

·
Registered
352 Posts
put a set of jump leads on her, keep trying to turn her over and hold on to the starter lead to the starter motor, if it gets hot and I mean really hot then you know its getting power and the problem is in the starter or further along and most likely mechanical on the other hand have a look see if the connector has come out of the back of the solenoid, a
nd also on the turn of the key that the relay in the seat unit clicks (put your ear on it and turn the key!!)

easy lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts