Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to diagnose my charging system, the Starter lead wire was resting on the exhuast. Unaware I started the bike and subsequently the Starter lead wire housing melted away to the wire. Now when I push the starter button I get nothing!! Please help.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you mean the big #6 lead wire feeding the starter was shorted to ground - ouch! Either the battery is toast or the starter relay got fried. As far as I can tell it's not fused. If you don't have a cheap voltmeter go to the local hardware store and buy one for $10. Start checking for B+ (12v) beginning at the battery to the starter relay down to the starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda thought it would be that starter relay, thanks. Its kind of a hit or miss start and when its a miss I do not hear the relay click at all. I checked the battery and its fine. since the relay was the only thing in between the lead wire and the battery itself it would make sence for it to get baked first.

Do you know what a volage reading looks like coming out of a functional relay?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Land your voltmeter across the relay contacts (+ battery post & starter lug) and crank it. It should not show more than a couple volts drop while cranking. I'm really surprised your battey is not damaged. If the problem is intermittent and you are sure the battery is good (put the volt meter across the posts while cranking, should read ~>10 volts while cranking) then it might be something else. Land the volt meter on the coil of the starter relay, if when it "misses" the voltage is +12 then the realy is intermittent and need replacing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, from the description the battery is fine. Im not sure about the relay though im going to check it later though. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts