Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I wanted a longer kickstand because we all know the gangsta lean on the 996 is pretty extreme. Well some of us do and I am one of those that do.

So a wonderful person donated a SSR billet kickstand to me in my search for a 1098 kickstand and I couldnt be more grateful.

The issue I have now is it seems too long. On the stock kickstand it could be scary at times how far it leaned. Now, it seems too upright. I have attached a pic in my garage. This doesnt do it justice how upright it is. My garage is of course very flat and level. But, when I park in the drive way or with the slightest incline in a parking lot I almost feel its going to tip over the other direction.

In fact, when putting up the kickstand I have had to actually lean it to the right for it to fold up.

Now, SSR says to adjust the rear ride height slightly to get more lean according to the instructions on their site. Anyone done this? I have never adjusted suspension on any of my bikes and worry about the negative impacts from raising the rear height.
Here are the instructions from SSR.

10) Test to see how much the bike is leaning over on the kickstand. If the bike does NOT lean over enough with the billet kickstand, loosen the locknuts on the rear suspension control rod and make it longer. That will raise the back end of the bike and increase how much the bike leans over. Raising the back end a little will have NO detrimental effects in terms of handling. As a matter of fact, it will quicken steering and most owners will find the bike easier to haul through turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjusting the geometry for a kickstand...
That was my thought. Didn’t seem like the logical thing to do. But I know a lot of people are using them on the 916 era bikes. Hopefully someone that has used one can offer some insight. Maybe it isn’t too high and I’m just not used to how upright it is.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I'll trade you whatever you have for my OEM. With my setup the out most point of the kickstand is all that touches the ground. The Time Machine leans way over. This is a result of geometry setup to be how I like it. And for the most part, if you have to raise the rear ride height or rotate the eccentric to get the bike to lean more, it's not a big deal. If you aren't at the track that stuff doesn't matter and you will likely like the change.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey guys. I wanted a longer kickstand because we all know the gangsta lean on the 996 is pretty extreme. Well some of us do and I am one of those that do.

So a wonderful person donated a SSR billet kickstand to me in my search for a 1098 kickstand and I couldnt be more grateful.

The issue I have now is it seems too long. On the stock kickstand it could be scary at times how far it leaned. Now, it seems too upright. I have attached a pic in my garage. This doesnt do it justice how upright it is. My garage is of course very flat and level. But, when I park in the drive way or with the slightest incline in a parking lot I almost feel its going to tip over the other direction.

In fact, when putting up the kickstand I have had to actually lean it to the right for it to fold up.

Now, SSR says to adjust the rear ride height slightly to get more lean according to the instructions on their site. Anyone done this? I have never adjusted suspension on any of my bikes and worry about the negative impacts from raising the rear height.
Here are the instructions from SSR.

10) Test to see how much the bike is leaning over on the kickstand. If the bike does NOT lean over enough with the billet kickstand, loosen the locknuts on the rear suspension control rod and make it longer. That will raise the back end of the bike and increase how much the bike leans over. Raising the back end a little will have NO detrimental effects in terms of handling. As a matter of fact, it will quicken steering and most owners will find the bike easier to haul through turns.
Lean angle seems about right .
I’m running a genuine 1098 leg on the 996 mounting plate , whilst sitting on the bike I have to lean slightly to the right sothat the stand clears the ground ,, it’s never fallen over & I’ve never worried about it doing so ,, but I would constantly worry about it doing so with the stock 996 leg.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll trade you whatever you have for my OEM. With my setup the out most point of the kickstand is all that touches the ground. The Time Machine leans way over. This is a result of geometry setup to be how I like it. And for the most part, if you have to raise the rear ride height or rotate the eccentric to get the bike to lean more, it's not a big deal. If you aren't at the track that stuff doesn't matter and you will likely like the change.
Interesting. I’m still very much in the air on if I’ll ever track it or not. And I still have my stock kickstand but thanks for the offer.

Lean angle seems about right .
I’m running a genuine 1098 leg on the 996 mounting plate , whilst sitting on the bike I have to lean slightly to the right sothat the stand clears the ground ,, it’s never fallen over & I’ve never worried about it doing so ,, but I would constantly worry about it doing so with the stock 996 leg
Wow thanks for that pic. Good stuff. Looks like it’s spot on. I’ll run this way for a bit and see if I get used to it or if things get to sketchy.

In the meantime I think I’ll look into finding a block of scrap aluminum or delrin plastic and make a “shoe” for the stock stand.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,378 Posts
Don't muck around, just take it to a shop where they weld alloy... boat builder for example and get it cut to the length you need and put a nice big flat plate on the end so it can stand on soft ground (or tar)

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Three choices;

1. Live with whichever stand is closer
2. Adjust the ride height
3. Custom fabrication

I have the longer billet stand. I didn't need to increase ride height just for that purpose--that's where I already had it and in my opinion these bikes like it anyway. Why not adjust the rod, ride it, and see what you think? If you don't like it, lower it and figure out which stand to go with.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Typically it is a higher lean angle, but I am playing with the geometry.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Adjusting the geometry for a kickstand...lol... take it to a weld/fabrication shop
Indeed, however many (myself included) replaced the stand with a longer one because of adjusted geometry - i.e. raised the rear to find the angle of the (already leaning too far) stand too much for comfort.

Added advantage that the cyclecat stand on mine (I believe SSR is pretty much the same?) is also less prone to sinking into hot/soft surfaces as it has a larger footprint without the pointed end of the original.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Indeed, however many (myself included) replaced the stand with a longer one because of adjusted geometry - i.e. raised the rear to find the angle of the (already leaning too far) stand too much for comfort.

Added advantage that the cyclecat stand on mine (I believe SSR is pretty much the same?) is also less prone to sinking into hot/soft surfaces as it has a larger footprint without the pointed end of the original.
The 1098 stand also has a much larger footprint than the stock 996 unit ,, almost double.

And of course, it looks original

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going back to the stock stand for now. It's probably un-warranted but I am so nervousness to ride it now because the lean to the right seems so extreme. A lot of the places I go the parking lots would likely cause it sit even more upright. Even in my garage when I put my plastic kickstand pad under it, it is almost perfectly upright.

As for adjusting the suspension. I do not feel comfortable messing with that. I am too paranoid of jacking up the geometry that it isnt worth it. I dont have a height adjustment tool and wouldnt know whats what when it comes to that anyway.

I am looking at the 848/1098 for the more stock look and the larger foot print. I am hoping it is somewhere in between the SSR and the original one.

Not, I just wonder if it will bolt up to my 996 mounting plate. I feel it should since the SSR one is the same for both bikes, the 996 and 1098.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check the bolts for the kickstand to the case just to be safe. Those can get loose and allow a lot of lean.
I agree. I had this issue with my 05 999S. I solved it by removing the bolts, cleaning everything, and using the (removable) Locktite on reassembly. Although I still check them when I lube the chain. Stock sidestand here, I'm just real aware of the material I'm parking the bike on and the angle of the surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree. I had this issue with my 05 999S. I solved it by removing the bolts, cleaning everything, and using the (removable) Locktite on reassembly. Although I still check them when I lube the chain. Stock sidestand here, I'm just real aware of the material I'm parking the bike on and the angle of the surface.
Yeah I checked the bolts when I swapped it. They are good. Angle of the surface. That’s what I was trying to say. Good stuff. I think I will switch back to my stock one. I’m not familiar with the 999 but the 996, as another guy from a FB group said, looks like it’s always looking for a place to take a nap. :laugh:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am going back to the stock stand for now. It's probably un-warranted but I am so nervousness to ride it now because the lean to the right seems so extreme. A lot of the places I go the parking lots would likely cause it sit even more upright. Even in my garage when I put my plastic kickstand pad under it, it is almost perfectly upright.

As for adjusting the suspension. I do not feel comfortable messing with that. I am too paranoid of jacking up the geometry that it isnt worth it. I dont have a height adjustment tool and wouldnt know whats what when it comes to that anyway.

I am looking at the 848/1098 for the more stock look and the larger foot print. I am hoping it is somewhere in between the SSR and the original one.

Not, I just wonder if it will bolt up to my 996 mounting plate. I feel it should since the SSR one is the same for both bikes, the 996 and 1098.
The swap from a 996 stand to the 1098 is very simple .

There is no need to change anything except the leg itself .... use the 996 mounting plate , springs , pivot bolt .
Just swap the leg .

Pic shows the difference between the 1098 leg on the left & the 996 on the right

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The swap from a 996 stand to the 1098 is very simple .

There is no need to change anything except the leg itself .... use the 996 mounting plate , springs , pivot bolt .
Just swap the leg .

Pic shows the difference between the 1098 leg on the left & the 996 on the right
Thanks so much for that. Found one on Gotham Cycles eBay page that’s just the leg and already ordered it. Guess I can sell off the SSR one if this one works out better. Thanks again.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks so much for that. Found one on Gotham Cycles eBay page that’s just the leg and already ordered it. Guess I can sell off the SSR one if this one works out better. Thanks again.
Please make sure that it’s an actual 1098 stand & NOT one that is advertised as a stand for 916 996 998 1098. If it’s for all of these it’s more than likely the same as the stock 996 stand

Part# 55610462A ( 1098 )
Not
Part# 55610132A ( 996 )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Please make sure that it’s an actual 1098 stand & NOT one that is advertised as a stand for 916 996 998 1098. If it’s for all of these it’s more than likely the same as the stock 996 stand

Part# 55610462A ( 1098 )
Not
Part# 55610132A ( 996 )
Sorry for the late reply. Gotham is a real reputable company and it showed up today. I haven’t installed it yet but it looks like a perfect in between the stock 996 and the ssr.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts