Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone got any info on the Front Rotors on the 996 SPS's?

Are they Full Floating?

Cast or Stainless?

Might have a set lined up just want to be sure.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I belive that the 996SPS has fully-floating steel rotors. Atleast the -00 996SPS. I´m not sure about the -99.

If you look at a picture of a 996sps, you can see that the brakediscs have the "new" look on the carrier. I´ve never seen that look on anything other then steel discs. The old style Brembo cast-iron rotors have another look on the carrier. Also the connectors on the fully-floating discs have holes through them, the semi-floating do not.

//amullo

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the information.

I might have made my life alot better by changing the Standard Ducatio pads to EBC 244HH's.

Big difference in braking....
Highly recommended.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
+1 on the HH-pads.

Those babies are VERY nice indeed. Combine them with a radiell masterbrakepump and cast-iron rotors and you´ll have more stoppingpower then you will ever need.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
amullo said:
+1 on the HH-pads.

Those babies are VERY nice indeed. Combine them with a radiell masterbrakepump and cast-iron rotors and you´ll have more stoppingpower then you will ever need.
Hi Amullo,
Sorry to be a pain in the butt, think I have asked this before.

But would a set of Cast Iron Rotors have the same bolt pattern as my 2002 998?

Might have an oppurtunity to get a set form a 996.

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Jules!

Didn't Ducati stop putting them on bikes like in the mid 90's? Due to cracking!

Spend the coin and purchase some Brake Tech Axis Rotors. Nothing good in life is free. Especially when it comes to brakes.

I did a search of SPS vs Mono/Biposto, and found no difference in rotors or carrier design. The rotors of a 1999 SPS are the same as on my 1999 Mono.
neither are full floating or cast iron.......Beware..

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pinocchio said:
Jules!

Didn't Ducati stop putting them on bikes like in the mid 90's? Due to cracking!

Spend the coin and purchase some Brake Tech Axis Rotors. Nothing good in life is free. Especially when it comes to brakes.

I did a search of SPS vs Mono/Biposto, and found no difference in rotors or carrier design. The rotors of a 1999 SPS are the same as on my 1999 Mono.
neither are full floating or cast iron.......Beware..

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
I think you are right, after all my chasing a cheaper option my best bet would be to spend the money on the Brake Tech Rotors..

Thanks.
Julian

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
jules_1972 said:
Hi Amullo,
Sorry to be a pain in the butt, think I have asked this before.

But would a set of Cast Iron Rotors have the same bolt pattern as my 2002 998?

Might have an oppurtunity to get a set form a 996.

Thanks.

They would. Same bolt pattern and same offset, unless the 996 is an RS.. :D

All the 916 series had the same brakerotors in regards to offset. But only SP and SPS models where ever givven ductile (iron) rotors. (well. the 900 SuperLight aswell as 851 and 888 SP´s)

I absolutly LOVE mine and have had NO problems with cracking. My bike has 30.000 miles on these rotors and the only thing I´ve had to do was upgrade the fasteners to oversized ones. It´s hard to beat radiell master pump, steelbraided lines, EBC HH pads, ductile Brembo rotors and supersoft Pirelli Supercorsa´s when it comes to stopping power.

//amullo

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
The Braketech iron are lighter by almost a pound each. The work great--the only problem is getting them. It seems we always have the Braketech on backorder from the MFG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts