Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base 996 which has been built to SPS specs, minus the the close ratio transmission
I have to pull the motor this winter and take it all apart. Please don't ask why, it's far too painful to explain...
But since this needs to be done I'm wondering what I can do to benefit from this unfortunate necessity. Being that the close ratio tranny is all that separates my once humble strada from the real deal, mighty SPS, that's the obvious answer..
But should I take that step? Has anyone gone from a standard tranny in a Desmoquattro to a close ratio? What were your impressions?
I've heard that the close ratio tranny in the real deal SPS is one of it's defining features. Anyone who could elaborate further, especially in a pros and cons kind of way, standard vs. close ratio, would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, thank you for the reminder NTA!
Obviously I've been mulling this for awhile, but back then this was much more theoretical than it is now, as in now I have to take the damn motor apart
Well, this could be a really short thread cuz there was some solid input five years ago..
But please chime in if you have any more to add

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
I have the CR gearbox on my '02 R... Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to as it is the only Desmoquattro I've ever thrown a leg over. That being said, there is nothing about this setup that I do not love. It always seems to be in the meat of the power band, which admittedly on the 748R is a bit different than a 996 SPS.

Anyway, not sure if this is of any help at all, but as I've enjoyed almost 10 years now with this thing I just thought I would give you my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I have the close-ratio in The Time Machine. Even at 15-38 gearing I run out gear. It's nice on the shorter tracks, but on anything with a real strait I am looking for 7nth gear regularly.

To answer your question: no

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
for a road bike i like 15/43 gearing with the std box, which is almost the same top gear ratio as namor's 15/38 and close ratio box. depends what you're doing with it.

it will feel more racy with the close ratio once you get into 3rd and above, but if it has a nice power curve it's kind of redundant in actual use.

·
Registered
'99 996s
89 Posts
For my style of riding, trackdays, commuting, sport touring, grocery getting, deals gap..etc. I actually tried to make a best of both worlds gearbox. I went with the 1-5 gears of the CR gear set and brought into it the 6th gear of the standard 996 gear set.

I wasn't using 5th or 6th on the local track, Louden. And was using 6th during commutes on the highway. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For my style of riding, trackdays, commuting, sport touring, grocery getting, deals gap..etc. I actually tried to make a best of both worlds gearbox. I went with the 1-5 gears of the CR gear set and brought into it the 6th gear of the standard 996 gear set.

I wasn't using 5th or 6th on the local track, Louden. And was using 6th during commutes on the highway. Best of both worlds.
This sounds like an intriguing option! Thanks for sharing

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
When I built the motor (ST4S cases) for the 851 I thought the same thing and it was either Ben Fox or TJ Schultze who said not to bother--even as a quasi-racebike.

I do like the idea of a 6th gear "overdrive" for the street.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been a very infrequent contributor to these pages the last few months..
Some of you may remember that i was rather excited and enthusiastic in the spring about getting my 996 project on the road after a five year gestation period. It's not that I was working on it for five years, but the project got started, work and finances shifted, life happened, and five long years, well six actually, passed between rides on my beloved 996 nearly SPS (nearly cuz it's a standard 996 built to SPS spec).
This spring it all came together and I was finally able to experience the fruits of my labours, money, and patience, first hand. And it was glorious!!!
For all of 1000km! Then the sprag grenaded itself and that was that. Engine has to come out and apart again! 1000km of riding for six years of effort ( some of that being the effort that comes from NOT doing what you love to do ), and a fair bit of money ( 5-6k $cdn, ish ). And now I need to spend more money!
Needless to say, I really need a fantastic full season of riding next year in order to rekindle my full blown passion for all this. I mean, I had a sweet glimpse of it back in May for those 1000km, and let me tell you, it all felt very worth it then. But it wasn't near enough. Right now it just feels like it's all been effort, and money, and very little reward.
If it had been some part of the engine that had let go because of the performance stresses placed upon it, I would be far more resigned to my fate, the cost of doing business so to speak. But the freakin' sprag!! Bah humbug I say!

Oh well, first world problems I suppose.
Anyway, I've been keeping all that inside for awhile. Blame xracer for pressing me on why the motor has to come out.
My rant sesh is over!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts