Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
They don't say it directly but I'm assuming these are copper core ignition wires. If they are, I wouldn't recommend installing them unless you also intend to run resistor plugs.

My recommendation is to use Magnecor ignition wires if you're having misfire problems running plug gaps less than 1mm.

The Magnecor wires are not copper wires, just a (Electromagnetic Interference) EMI-supressing high quality replacement for the stock wires that, as they age, will break down at lower voltages because of heat effects on the insulation. If the spark plug wires have inadequate insulation, the wire cannot maintain a high enough voltage across the insulation to fire the plug gap. The factory spark plug leads are stranded wire covered with an EPDM jacket and although the wire itself will last a long time, the jacket will start to break down after a couple of years which is why most good aftermarket wire is insulated with silicone.

You could also use carbon core wires, preferably carbon wires with a spiral wrap center conductor. Straight, multi-stranded, unshielded wire conductors offer theoretical gains, but produce lots of electromagnetic interference (EMI).

The big problem is with the computer used on fuel-injected bikes as the radiated EMI can interfere with the computer and corrupt signals which can affect engine performance.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
I've been using TPO Dragon Spark Plug Wires on my 748 ever since I found the OEM wires had broken down and were causing the bike to mis-fire. Have had no spark related (or EFI related) issues since their installation. They were put on back in April, about ~1500 miles ago.

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
I have a set for my ST.

I'm not dissing anything Shazaam has to say (ever), but they don't seem to cause any interference and did seem to clear up most of my light throttle sneeze stalls. They also added 3mpg to my fuel comsuption (39mpg average to 43 to 44mpg average). I'm sure the old plug wires were the originals.

TPO was excellent to work with also.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just be aware that aftermarket leads might not seal the sparkplug access tube like the originals, which means being very carefully about protecting your combustion chambers from crap whenever the plugs are pulled, especially the vertical cylinder. :eek:

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
I did like the plug caps on the Duc wires, but they were spaghetti compared to the new wires. ;) Although, I did see a lot of debris in there in the past anyway. That and the air sucking in while turning the engine during valve work is worrisome. I try to clean that area out.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
729 Posts
For a lot less money I simply rebuilt my wires using new silicon ignition wire from the auto supply and reused the old metal connectors, rubber boots and plug caps. Just rip out the old wires, open up the connetors, lube the boots with some silicone grease [not petrol or synthetic] slide them on, strip, land the wires and recrimp the conectors. You'll need some type of connector crimping tool to recrimp them.

Re:EMI, Sahzaam is right, resistor wires or plugs will reduce EMI. Its created due to high frequency current spikes caused by arcing across the spark plug gap. Resistors help limit the arc current and actually help maintain the spark longer. This high frequency, vey high high voltage "noise" is really like a RF transmitter and can easily be picked up by the wiring coming from sensors and going to the ECU. Most sensor wires on Ducati's are not electrically shielded. Thing is, spark plugs specified by Ducati are all resistor type - thats the R in the part number. Using resistor wire will help reduce EMI even with resistor plugs but not all that much. I'll bet those who reported "no problems" were likely using resistor plugs too.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying them. I think they'll work out just fine. I'll let you guys know what the results are, if I likey or not....

·
Mr Leakered
8,835 Posts
For a lot less money I simply rebuilt my wires using new silicon ignition wire from the auto supply and reused the old metal connectors, rubber boots and plug caps. Just rip out the old wires, open up the connetors, lube the boots with some silicone grease [not petrol or synthetic] slide them on, strip, land the wires and recrimp the conectors. You'll need some type of connector crimping tool to recrimp them.

Re:EMI, Sahzaam is right, resistor wires or plugs will reduce EMI. Its created due to high frequency current spikes caused by arcing across the spark plug gap. Resistors help limit the arc current and actually help maintain the spark longer. This high frequency, vey high high voltage "noise" is really like a RF transmitter and can easily be picked up by the wiring coming from sensors and going to the ECU. Most sensor wires on Ducati's are not electrically shielded. Thing is, spark plugs specified by Ducati are all resistor type - thats the R in the part number. Using resistor wire will help reduce EMI even with resistor plugs but not all that much. I'll bet those who reported "no problems" were likely using resistor plugs too.
Yes, my Duc manual recommends resistor plugs, which is what I use.

I would have enjoyed making my own wire, but I am not very good with electric MFG. The thought had crossed my mind when I want to upgrade my starter wires. In the end, I paid for the ones from Powerlet.

I would imagine that this will be the last see of wires I buy. Our cars all have coil packs on the plugs.

Have a good one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts