Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have problem with my 996. It shuts off while driving. Than i turn the key off an back on and than it starts without problem.

What to check first i alredy check all connectors. Is it possible that igniton relay switch off while driving ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would start with the fuel pump and any split or burst fuel lines.....

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
You could also check the sidestand relay.
If your cut out is immediate, then I agree with SD above (except I believe it's a switch, but I may be incorrect). On my Aprilia, it was an immediate kill. I could pull the clutch in and restart, which it would do. The bike would run great any other time, except that the motor would just stop inexplicably. Changing the side stand switch cured it.

If the fuel line is splitting, I would suspect it would sputter a little bit before dying. However, it's worth looking if you've never done it. The fuel lines are a known weak point.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel lines are new also fuel filter. It is something electrical. I don’t have side stand switch i made bypass instead of it. It feels like i cut off engine with key or kill switch.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Might sound obvious but double check your terminal screws at the battery...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 748 used to do that. I think I eventually narrowed it down to an intermittent fuel pump relay, but it was tough to be sure as it was extremely intermittent. Replaced the relay and it stopped doing it though.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
My Monster lost all electrical power and it was the main fuse holder, bad connection with the fuse. The factory zip tied the wiring harness so tight it was pulling the wires out of the fuse.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terminals on battery are ok also all fuses and every connector and wires i tried to shake hell out od them and i think that i narrowed it to relays

·
Registered
743 Posts
When my ST-2 did something similar, I at first thought that it was the ignition switch, but it turned out to be the main ignition relay.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So me again :D

I replaced relay and now bike doesn't cut off while riding but now i have new problem. When i accelerate hard from low rpm bike accelerate and than starts to struggle at some point and than accelerate again. Than sometimes just don't have power one time it didn't go over 180km/h i was filling like i was sixteen again on 125ccm bike :D and soe times it pulls normal.

Fuel filter is 1 year old with 10000km. I don't think that fuel filter is the problem. Maybe fuel pump, pressure regulator? bike has 60000km

Also while riding when fix throttle to same position i have feeling same like if you have uneven stretched chain (bike accelerate and than deccelerate chain is new )

bad crank position sensor?
Is there any connection with ambient temperature sensor and water temp. sensor? probably not ?
All connectors are ok with no corrosion

I have also filing that bike is running hot. when i ride above 90km/h i have water temperature around 85˙C
but as soon i stop or when i drive below 90km/h water temperature jumps to 100˙C
outside temperature is around 32˙C

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have problem with my 996. It shuts off while driving. Than i turn the key off an back on and than it starts without problem.
My Alfa GTV-6 used to do this all the time. It drove me and my mech nuts for years, because of course it never did it when stopped, around town or in front of anyone else. I'd be driving along on the highway, the motor would die, I would depress the clutch, switch the ig off then on (still 'coasting' at hghwy speed) and let the clutch out. She'd bump-start at 70 and I'd just keep going. Drove me nuts!!

Ultimately, it wasn't the ignition but old vacuum lines causing problems affecting fuel delivery.

Check all of your fuel and vacuum lines and do all of the basic sanity stuff first. If there are no other problems with the bike, it is likely something loose or clogged or both.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Alfa GTV-6 used to do this all the time. It drove me and my mech nuts for years, because of course it never did it when stopped, around town or in front of anyone else. I'd be driving along on the highway, the motor would die, I would depress the clutch, switch the ig off then on (still 'coasting' at hghwy speed) and let the clutch out. She'd bump-start at 70 and I'd just keep going. Drove me nuts!!

Ultimately, it wasn't the ignition but old vacuum lines causing problems affecting fuel delivery.

Check all of your fuel and vacuum lines and do all of the basic sanity stuff first. If there are no other problems with the bike, it is likely something loose or clogged or both.
I solved shut off problem it was bad fuel pump relay but now the problem that bike doesn’t pull as it should. Fuel lines are new spray from injectors looks ok

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem with my 998, when cold it would cut out when riding intermittently. I eventually found it was the ignition switch causing it

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nobody had same problem on 996 series bike? i solved cut off problem but now i have new simptom and bike sometimes hesitate to accelerate when i open throttle to the max. Lets say i have in 3 gear 4500-5000 rpm and i fully open throttle it starts to accelerate than hesitate and than it starts accelerating again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts