Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one minor issue with my 996 - since I am only 5'6", the ride height is ~1" higher than I would prefer. The stock adjuster is basically all the way down, so I bought a new rod that is ~1/2" shorter from the local dealer.
After I installed the new rod, the bike sits perfect, but due to rain I have not got on the road yet.

My question is - the service manual says that the length of this rod from eye center to eye center cannot be less than 10.275". Mine is less - it's over 10", but not 10.275". Anyone know what evil I've uncovered by going below this minimum length?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've been told to never lower my bike more then 1/2" MAX, this will ruin the dynamics of the suspension and how it rides so I never bothered switching out the ride height in rear and think the previous owner already lowered the stock adjuster to the lowest possible setting it could go.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't think it will cause a mechanical problem, but the bike will definitely not handle as well. Try dropping the triple in fork tubes to balance things out. I'm about 5'6 too and don't have any real problems on my 996, In fact I raised the rear a few centimeters above stock to help tip-in on the track. The only problem I have is backing it up in the paddock using my tip toes.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I intend to drop the forks as well. I did some before and after measurements and I lowered the bike (as measured from the bottom of the license plate to the floor) 5/8" - basically got my heels to within 1/4" of the floor. So, I did lower it, but I didn't LOWER it....;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts