Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size is the nut on a 996 rear wheel? I'm getting ready to put new skins on, and don't want to guess and buy a collection of odd-sized sockets that won't fit anything in my garage.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
What size is the nut on a 996 rear wheel? I'm getting ready to put new skins on, and don't want to guess and buy a collection of odd-sized sockets that won't fit anything in my garage.

Thanks all!
You're better off just getting one of the double sided sockets on ebay that does the wheel and axle nuts I think the wheel nut in around 34-36mm. Rear axle nut is 30mm I believe and front is 28mm.

No matter what you're gonna end up with a few sockets that get used for nothing more than removing the wheel and axle.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
996 Rear wheel nut is 46mm, sprocket side is 42mm.

Torque spec for the 46mm is 180Nm, but I can't recall the value for the 42mm nut (I have a feeling it somthing like 160Nm?), but am not exactly sure, sorry.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
996 Rear wheel nut is 46mm, sprocket side is 42mm.

Torque spec for the 46mm is 180Nm, but I can't recall the value for the 42mm nut (I have a feeling it somthing like 160Nm?), but am not exactly sure, sorry.
There ya go. I knew they were huge but I still grossly underestimated them lol. Note if you buy these sockets in the store they will most likely be for a 1" wrench which will require an adapter to fit a 1/2" ratchet or gun.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
You'll need a six-point 46-mm (1-13/16-inch) socket and a torque wrench with a handle extension. Most sockets this size are 3/4-inch drives so you also may need a 3/4-to-1/2-inch drive adapter. A 12-point socket will work too, of course.

Check your socket’s construction. You may need to machine down the hex end face of the socket if it has recessed flats. Otherwise, you'll only get partial engagement of the socket flats on the comparatively thin nut. There's high torque involved here so you'll want to anticipate slipping and damaging the nut.

Wheel Removal & Installation - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Get the steel socket if you can. I got the aluminum one and it rounded off before I even broke it loose.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got it done. The right tool for the right job. Found a 46mm socket and 1/2 to 3/4 adapter. The rear nut was off in about 5 seconds. All went back together nicely. Now I just need a dry day to scuff the new rubber in.

Thanks to everyone for your tips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I got it done. The right tool for the right job. Found a 46mm socket and 1/2 to 3/4 adapter. The rear nut was off in about 5 seconds. All went back together nicely. Now I just need a dry day to scuff the new rubber in.

Thanks to everyone for your tips.
Did you have a little play on the 42mm socket? I got a 42mm and a 46mm off amazon (seem to be of good build, steel not aluminium). The 42mm looks to have too much play on the nut IMHO? could it be a 41mm? Or do I have slightly off sized amazon sockets? I guess I'll have to dish out for napa sockets or does Anyone have a brand they recommend here. Done dickn around with amazon.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
It's 41/46.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I like that Speedymoto socket. Nice and flat which minimizes getting torque on it at an angle.
Although at 80 bucks I'll keep using my 3/4 drive socket that I machined off the radiused end in my lathe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts