Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious about this since I got my Duc. Is the rear tire supposed to be off center? Say, sitting slightly more to the swing arm side? I've looked through a couple of service manuals I have and haven't seen anything about alignment, but I'd like to make sure. I've never had a single sided swing arm bike before so I don't know what "normal" is supposed to look like. If there was a way to adjust the rear subframe left or right I would have thought it to be out of adjustment, but it just seems weird that everything isn't symmetrical when I look at the back of the bike.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
It's either an optical illusion or your frame is bent. The wheeel should line up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess that would make sense. The guy I bought it from said it had gone down on its left side prior to him owning it. The left control was ground down pretty good, and he said it had a little plastic damage and he repaired all of it. I asked him about the frame and he told me it was straight. Eyeing down the chain everything looks straight and with the tank, airbox and seat off the frame looks straight too. The subframe doesn't have any obvious bends, dings, bulges etc. that you'd expect with tubing getting bent. I kinda just thought it was supposed to be that way. He hadn't owned any other Ducatis either so he thought that was normal too. And, he had it in for service at an authorized service shop. Seems like the shop would have said something. Or they did and I got screwed.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crap. When I get down low, it looks like the tire is centered and the tail is off. When I look through the windscreen down the tank and tail it does look like the tail might be off, but the light is weird so It's hard to tell. New mono sub frame isn't going to be cheap. Crap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Crap. When I get down low, it looks like the tire is centered and the tail is off. When I look through the windscreen down the tank and tail it does look like the tail might be off, but the light is weird so It's hard to tell. New mono sub frame isn't going to be cheap. Crap.
oh. wow. holyhell, sorry man. Yeah, I'd say that's just not right. I tried to cover up the tail section and it still seems like the rear tire is off from the main frame. Maybe another one looking the other way might help.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get some more pics. Already hit ebay and found a number of mono subs for about $200 BIN. I'm watching one a guy pulled off to swap out with a biposto so he could ride two up. says the bike has never been down so I may try to snag it. Anybody willing to let me crash on their couch? My wife is going to hit the roof.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get some more pics. Already hit ebay and found a number of mono subs for about $200 BIN. I'm watching one a guy pulled off to swap out with a biposto so he could ride two up. says the bike has never been down so I may try to snag it. Anybody willing to let me crash on their couch? My wife is going to hit the roof.
Hmm

after looking at it again, might just be the subframe.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got down low, I was literally in a push up position. I wanted to get myself in a straight line with the front and rear tires. Honestly, the tire looks like it's centered. I will post another pic or two tomorrow to see what you think. It's a good thing it's so much fun to ride and damn sexy. Between this, the various electrical gremlins and the clutch almost coming apart on me it's about to drive me nucking futs.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Subframe/ tail section is bent, not the frame/ swingarm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. With the creative use of several tie-downs I bet the sub-frame could be straitened out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering if it could be straightened. I'm currently bidding on one on ebay, but I'd like to not spend the money if I can fix it myself.

So, pulling it with tie downs... interesting. Where to pull is pretty obvious, but where would be a good place to mount the securing straps. I wouldn't want to damage anything else in the process. I'm thinking one to the main frame trellis right in front of the subframe opposite the direction of pulling force and one in the front somewhere on the same side as the pulling force to keep it from spinning.

Hmm, I wonder if it would raise eyebrows if I had my bike weaved into the jungle gym at the playground across the street from my house. I already get the stink-eye from a few of my friendly neighborhood LEOs whenever I'm on it.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Make sure your subframe is actually bent. My sat cock-eyed like that but was just tightened down crooked. Loosen the subframe, twist and see if that helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Definitely take your time. Like 94CobraR says, disassemble and check fitment.

Get er' naked, look at her, take measurements, feel around :D:D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bike Pr0n, I like it. Maybe I was a little hasty in bidding on that subframe. Oh well. I'll strip it down tonight and see what I can do before trying to bend anything. I can see how even being a 1/16th off in the front could result in an inch and a half in the back. I hope it's that simple.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I loosened the four bolts holding the subframe on at lunch and it didn't seem to have any play in it. I didn't drop the cans or anything, just wanted to see what would happen. I guess I'll strip it down after work and see what I can do.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I have it good enough for now. It's still off about 1/8th or so. I went ahead and stripped it down to the subframe and pulled/pried until I got it as far left as it would go. It really didn't look like my subframe was bent, and I think my cans being off a bit exaggerated the problem. After taking some measurements the subframe was pretty damn square, I guess it was just mounted a little off kilter. But, I still shouldn't have hat to pull that hard to get it straight. Makes me wonder if the guy that welded it up was pissed off or hung over when he added the mounts. So now I'm wondering if it would hurt anything to dremmel out the mounting holes a little bit to get it the rest of the way over. I wouldn't have to take much material out at all. Tomorrow when it's light I'll get a new pic and see how symmetrical it is before doing anything else.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've been in welding and machine shops for over 28 years, and there is more alcohol and dope in those places than I could believe.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL, I all but grew up in a body shop and needless to say paint and body filler fumes weren't the only funny smells in the air.

Alright, got a pic this morning and I think everything is right where it should be. If anyone has wanted to swap their biposto to a mono this guy on ebay has a straight subframe and it's only been bid up to $100. That was my bid and I obviously don't need it now so someone buy it so I don't have to ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts