Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on this 996 (2000) for almost a year now, what a bike! Engine is A-OK my problem now is the removal of the rear shock. Is their a way to do it without stripping or ringing the 8mm allen bolt on the bottom. Got it soaking with wd 40.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just removed mine (of an 01' 748) and didn't have much trouble. I used an allen key with an extension for more leverage, didn't strip it. I had to suspend the rear of the bike so that the rear tire didn't have any weight on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, tomwalsh, ya I have the back subframe suspended swingarm on a stand.The bottom bolt wont turn, its not a left hand thread or anything with a keeper on it is it? May just be corrosion. Will let it soak and work on it tomorrow.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Easiest way is to use a rear swingarm stand and then a bottle jack under the engine to lift just enough weight off the suspension. Loosen the bottom bolt with the allen (backside is held with a threaded insert with a flat edge). Once this is out you can swing the ride height adjuster away and move the top shock mount around so you can get an allen between the frame rails.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
If you use a allen socket, extension, and ratchet or torque wrench you should have no problem.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Easiest way is to use a rear swingarm stand and then a bottle jack under the engine to lift just enough weight off the suspension.
Actually the easiest way that I have found is to put it on the stand, put car jack stands under the rear sets and let the bike down. You can then modulate the swing arm with the stand. Beats trying to find rafters or something else to suspend the frame/subframe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts