Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to site and am working on a 996 thet I got a few months back. Bike has 17000 miles on it so I am cleaning off the carbon and reseating the valves. This weekend took the heads to a Ducati shop to have the rocker arms checked and was told arms are good heads are from R engine. Pistons, crank and rods are stock as oer the valve specs intake36mm exhaust 30mm. My question is how can you tell if what type of a head it is? The guy who owned the shop was not that helpfull.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That should be fairly easy - a 996R is the Testastretta head The Testastretta head have one big "lid" on top covering both cam shafts the normal 996 don't

The pic shows a 996R /998S euro spec engine

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
It would have to be a 998 or the full 996R motor to have those heads as they do not fit on the desmoquattro 996.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 996R is pretty much a 998S motor. If you bought a 996R and have a testastretta motor, its probably the right motor.
Sounds like the mechanic is confused to me, Tye. You're right, if it's a 996R, it's a Testastretta. But from what he says, everything else is 996 fare, so I'm going to say he probably meant something else. Not sure what he meant by the dome tolerances. Anyone have specs on the 996 vs 996R (998) piston and valve clearances handy?

·
Registered
172 Posts
cant it be a simple 996 with with 996rs head with oversized valves. As far as I know 996rs were desmoquattro.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hope this helps....

996RS heads have 39/32 Menon Ti valves. In his first post he mentioned 36/30 valves, stock 996 heads. The combustion chambers are a bit smaller in the RS heads but look pretty much the same as the 996 heads. A lot of the parts crossing over to fit in either head with exception of valve stem dia size, lighter springs and special valve keepers. There might be a difference in port shape, but size looks the same. 996 intake manifolds pretty much bolt right up. I haven't put a mic to the ports, yet. I have a set sitting here on the bench.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,I think what I have is a stock 996 dont get me wrong only ran it 40 miles before taking it apart and think its great.Looking forward to getting it back together. I do like the way it turns in and runs. Found a little metal flakes in the oil so decided a take down was the way to go I am learning a lot! Love it!Found the flakes are from the rocker pins turning on the pin covers new covers on the way. The rocker arms look to be fine. Just have no idea how the bike was cared for by p.o. Oil pressure and compression all in spec per haynes so I thik its a worth while project.

·
Registered
241 Posts
welcome to the brotherhood!

Thanks,I think what I have is a stock 996 dont get me wrong only ran it 40 miles before taking it apart and think its great.Looking forward to getting it back together. I do like the way it turns in and runs. Found a little metal flakes in the oil so decided a take down was the way to go I am learning a lot! Love it!Found the flakes are from the rocker pins turning on the pin covers new covers on the way. The rocker arms look to be fine. Just have no idea how the bike was cared for by p.o. Oil pressure and compression all in spec per haynes so I thik its a worth while project.
Just remember Ducati has been making mechanics out of riders since 1946 and your no exception. Really the 996 is quite a fun bike and a clean example still turns heads today. For a ten year old bike that's saying a lot. They are somewhat costly to maintain unless you do your own work.

It's a simple bike to learn...but can intimidate you at times. Just do your home work and ask a lot of questions form many different sources, do this and you'll be hooked for life.

By the way.....

The rocker pin covers won't flake, if anything they'll turn the oil a little grey, but not enough to notice at an oil change. Check to see if the flakes are magnetic. This will give you a good starting point to look into. These motors wear a lot and are always spitting something in the oil system. Be concerned though if your getting large metal flakes in the oil.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Just remember Ducati has been making mechanics out of riders since 1946 and your no exception. Really the 996 is quite a fun bike and a clean example still turns heads today. For a ten year old bike that's saying a lot. They are somewhat costly to maintain unless you do your own work.

It's a simple bike to learn...but can intimidate you at times. Just do your home work and ask a lot of questions form many different sources, do this and you'll be hooked for life.

By the way.....

The rocker pin covers won't flake, if anything they'll turn the oil a little grey, but not enough to notice at an oil change. Check to see if the flakes are magnetic. This will give you a good starting point to look into. These motors wear a lot and are always spitting something in the oil system. Be concerned though if your getting large metal flakes in the oil.
Agree, but there was another thread a year ago and it turned out to be the rocker pins shaving the lids, I didnt think that was possible but it was enough to create flakes, but from what the poster said that was it.

If you have a lot of oil in the seat for the pin when you put them in it will act like a cushion making the pin strive out, so try to clear the oil before assemby.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Agree, but there was another thread a year ago and it turned out to be the rocker pins shaving the lids, I didnt think that was possible but it was enough to create flakes, but from what the poster said that was it.

If you have a lot of oil in the seat for the pin when you put them in it will act like a cushion making the pin strive out, so try to clear the oil before assemby.
I guess it all depends on the size of the flakes. I can see some galling between the rocker pin and the cover, but I find it hard to see flaking. Your getting abrasive wear as the pin rotates in it's bore and not a shearing effect which would create a flake.

A good fix to cure this syndrome is to take a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut a small groove into the pin lengthwise to allow the pressure that is build up to channel out away from the cover. Simple fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts